Possible Grand Opening of our facilities. Would you come?

Would you come to an open tour catered event?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Been toying with the idea of doing a spring "grand opening" and open up our place for tours and a big get together. You know food, drinks(for adults too) and stuff for kids to be entertained with. Was wondering how big of a turnout it could be and suggestions for things to do to make it a time worthy event. I'd like to get peoples input and wonder how many of y'all would come? Maybe I'll meet a turtle girl too. Haha

Things I thought may be fun.
Were on a very large limestone creek that's fun to explore.
Of course gah over all the hundreds of shelled pcreatures and birds too.
Eat/drink etc...
And of course a tortoise picture just because :)
image.jpg

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I don't think if I could make a grand opening this spring, but your sanctuary is definitely on my "to visit" list the next time I'm out in Texas!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would love to, but it will depend on my work schedule. Sometimes I can get away and sometimes not. That is an awfully long drive or expensive flight too. But its one of those things that I would love to see "someday". I pass through TX often enough for work that I will eventually make it there, so I don't know if its worth it for me to come out on a specific date. I'd rather try to incorporate a visit into another trip that is already paid for by work.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
My wife and I will come for sure....Just let me know when.

Count us in.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I would absolutely love to visit your facility, if I lived closer :-/. Seriously jealous of all you Texans/Californians right now!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would love to, but it will depend on my work schedule. Sometimes I can get away and sometimes not. That is an awfully long drive or expensive flight too. But its one of those things that I would love to see "someday". I pass through TX often enough for work that I will eventually make it there, so I don't know if its worth it for me to come out on a specific date. I'd rather try to incorporate a visit into another trip that is already paid for by work.
I'm wondering if maybe I set up a combined speakers thing like the TTPG deal scheduled around a NARBC show. Perhaps take all the group to university of Texas at Arlington and visit the largest collection of reptiles in the world then head back to the center for drinks food and the "tour" perhaps make it more employable for long distant patrons.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would certainly give it my best shot. I know how much this place means to you, so even if for no other reason I would want to be there for you to celebrate this great and hard earn accomplishment. Of course, I also know I want to see your place and all the plants. ;) I also want to meet your Mom. :)

Of course.... your giving me enough advance warning so I can find a really big purse or pair pants with huge pockets... I am thinking a female Bells or Erosa maybe.... didn't think I could do an adult female leopard... hmmm of course I could sneak one out with the pregnant look (think anybody would notice if I was suddenly looking 9 months pregnant????? :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I didn't have so much going on next year, son graduating I would sure love to be there. Sounds like a great time and who wouldn't want to see your place and meet you. Maybe if you have a second annual grand opening I could make that one:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Perhaps summer is what I was more waivering to. Spring can be cold but could be hot. Wouldn't want to risk having it scheduled on a day that ended up cool and the torts couldn't go outside for viewing,

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm wondering if maybe I set up a combined speakers thing like the TTPG deal scheduled around a NARBC show. Perhaps take all the group to university of Texas at Arlington and visit the largest collection of reptiles in the world then head back to the center for drinks food and the "tour" perhaps make it more employable for long distant patrons.

Something like this would be more appealing for me. Not that I don't think you're a great guy and would like to meet you anyways, but a bigger event would justify the trip for me.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Something like this would be more appealing for me. Not that I don't think you're a great guy and would like to meet you anyways, but a bigger event would justify the trip for me.
I agree, it's more beneficial and a scale of things for out of towners. Not to mention seeing that collection is a privilege as it's private. Unless your a zoology or biology student there. They just endoctrined us in there program for turtle/tortoises in Texas which is fantastic and an honor, I must say seeing this collection is beyond anything. Bronx zoo, San Diego, ft.worth, st.louis, Washington zoo all combined have nothing compared. They hold over 180,000 specimens of reptiles.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I agree, it's more beneficial and a scale of things for out of towners. Not to mention seeing that collection is a privilege as it's private. Unless your a zoology or biology student there. They just endoctrined us in there program for turtle/tortoises in Texas which is fantastic and an honor, I must say seeing this collection is beyond anything. Bronx zoo, San Diego, ft.worth, st.louis, Washington zoo all combined have nothing compared. They hold over 180,000 specimens of reptiles.
Now you are talking! ! ! ! ! ! ! !WOW over 180,000 specimens.......

Just don't mind the one who said "no"....Haha!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While seeing that collection sounds neat, I for one am more interested in seeing how "common" folks are keeping their animals.

Any how, if you do this, let me know what I can do to help.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
While seeing that collection sounds neat, I for one am more interested in seeing how "common" folks are keeping their animals.

Any how, if you do this, let me know what I can do to help.
Well I did just touch base with their curator about a possible speakers conference and using the university auditorium for the event, and maybe do a kinda TTPG thing and see how many Texas folks in Dallas would be up for tours. I have to say probably not a lot. Most the huge collections here are very very private individuals, but we shall see. Lots of stuff in the works, may have to give OL russ a shout out since there good at stuff like that.