Possible Gravid Pancake

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
So my female has gained weight steadily over the past 2 and a half months, but only in her shell depth, her legs have shown no weight gain. I am suspecting she is Gravid, about a month and half ago she was digging around in her tank, but nothing new since. I think she is close to laying despite not digging, she leaks urine now and then.

This is her first time being Gravid I suspect, and I am not sure when she was bred, but she is constantly with the male.

Also my first time with a Gravid pancake or tort in general, so I am lost as what to expect to know if they are Gravid or not.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
that sounds about right. i dont know much about pancakes specifically, but i do know that some tortoises wont lay or having trouble doing so in an indoor enclosure. if you absolutely cannot put her outside, then make sure your substrate is deep and very loose so your girl can easily dig a nest.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
nate.mann said:
that sounds about right. i dont know much about pancakes specifically, but i do know that some tortoises wont lay or having trouble doing so in an indoor enclosure. if you absolutely cannot put her outside, then make sure your substrate is deep and very loose so your girl can easily dig a nest.

I put a tub in there that is 10% sand and 90% coconut coir and about 6inches deep. I put her in it every now and then for her to check out and see if she likes. My zoo vet friend will only be back on Sunday to check her out and see if everything is going smooth inside of her.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My pancakes act off for a good amount of time before they lay. Has the male been after her a lot recently? That's usually when I start begin really monitoring the females for pre-nesting behavior. Hopefully you will see some eggs soon.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
tortadise said:
My pancakes act off for a good amount of time before they lay. Has the male been after her a lot recently? That's usually when I start begin really monitoring the females for pre-nesting behavior. Hopefully you will see some eggs soon.

I am not home for most of the day, so I am not sure what they do during that time, but when I am home they just sleep all the time. I did find the female stacked on top of my male this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.