Possible Injury Signs

p-lizzle

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Aioki (my RT) just gave me quite a fright.

I was studying for exams when I noticed his hide (a ZooMed Hubba Hut Extra Large) was moving, and I knew he was inside. I figured he was just bumping the sides while digging, because he often does that, but when I peaked into the hide I realised he had wedged himself sideways, assumingly trying to turn around while inside.

When I bought the hide, it was decently larger than he was and we've gone 6 months now without any issues with it. I feel like absolute crap having neglected to insure he hadn't grown out of it (which is weird, because I measure him every month and he hasn't grown much, if at all. Possibly the wood of the hut had expanded) My dad was thankfully able to wedge him back out of it and ate a little bit of food before burrowing himself into his substrate for the night.

He was walking and eating just fine after the incident, and he did let me inspect his head and I didn't see any signs of injury, but he was walking a little slower than usual (we call him Speed Racer sometimes because he moves so fast, so it is out of character to see him moving slow). I don't know if it was because he's usually sleeping by now and he's just tired, or if it has anything to do with him being stuck.

I've chucked the Hubba Hut in the rubbish and we made him a make-shift hide out of a non-transparent tupperware container. Is there anything in particular I should watch for until I can get him to see his vet (she's out until Tuesday)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's no need for a vet visit. He's fine. Getting wedged into a tight space isn't harmful at all unless he's there so long he starves to death. . . and that didn't happen, so stop worrying.