Possible issues with Coco Peat | Miscellaneous Queries.

Mephitis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
18° 58′ 30″ N, 72° 49′ 33″ E
Greetings.

Recent switch to Coco Peat, the tort is trying to eat some of it. Under observation now and seems bored with it. Have heard Coco Peat is the safest of all but will it cause any issues if it enters the reptiles digestive track?

Other concerns:
This tortoise has been with us for over a year now. Recently due to a lot of outstations visits folks at home had been taking care.

Diet has primarily been Wheat grass, hibiscus leaves, shredded carrots, radish leaves, a little musk melon once in a blue moon, etc.

Early morning UVB source > JBL Reptil Jungle UV 310 after which the enclosure in kept in the balcony (where there is ample sunlight after 10AM).

Earlier we've been using a news paper base with a little garden soil (this is where things went wrong) and after I came from my trip last week was shocked to see the pyramiding in the shell. Switched over to Coco Peat bedding immediately. A decent spray of water 2-3 times a day on the bedding helps keep it moist (apart from the soaking that happens once in 2-3 days). The only issue that bothers me is too much moisture which may result in shell rot (correct me if I am wrong). Will be checking on the humidity levels soon.

I know that the existing state (pyramiding) cannot be reversed but I'm hoping this can be halted. Any suggestions on this?

Some snaps:

yPEP6I5.jpg

Z0SCRL6.jpg

wipqkB5.jpg

Cheers.

andre_saltiva

5 Year Member
-7° 12' 57.65", +107° 55' 24.57"
I use Cocopeat
Sometime my tort accidentally eat some of it, and he is doing fine until now.
I think your star not only pyramiding, look at the shell on the back, seems push inside to me CMIIW

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what coco peat is. I use coconut coir. If it's the same thing, it won't cause impaction. I also don't know how much humidity they should have. However, if you moisten the lower layers, keeping the top layer near.y dry, that will prevent shell rot. I too have concern about the dip in the shell. MBD (metabolic bone desease). Or was it hatched like that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rohan:

Be sure that your little guy is getting the calcium and vitamin d3 (UVB) he needs for strong bones and healthy shell. The way the carapace slopes down over the "hips" instead of a nice, round carapace makes me wonder if he might be suffering from MBD.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
your substrate is okay to ingest in small instances like when it's stuck to food. if you know your tortoise is hydrated than it is fine. if not, soak your tort in warm water for 20 mins every other day. if your tort is actually taking bites of the substrate you could top it with mulch. that way the coco peat will hold moisture at the bottom. your tort could still burrow and should not eat the mulch if you get the right size.

Mephitis

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't know what coco peat is. I use coconut coir. If it's the same thing, it won't cause impaction. I also don't know how much humidity they should have. However, if you moisten the lower layers, keeping the top layer near.y dry, that will prevent shell rot. I too have concern about the dip in the shell. MBD (metabolic bone desease). Or was it hatched like that?

It was kind of 'rescued' from a person around a year and a half ago who was in a hurry to sell it off due to some personal concerns. There was a very slight depression back then as well (in my opinion). Here is a snap off a video that I've taken (like 12-13 months ago) when it was placed in the feeder box.

If you see the snap below, the shell doesn't seem to have a proper curve (towards the hind legs). A slight depression can be seen (per my observation). Let me know what you think.

1qEDMhj.png

Yvonne G said:
Hi Rohan:

Be sure that your little guy is getting the calcium and vitamin d3 (UVB) he needs for strong bones and healthy shell. The way the carapace slopes down over the "hips" instead of a nice, round carapace makes me wonder if he might be suffering from MBD.

Hi Yvonne. This guy does get adequate sunlight and the diet is decent as well. As a supplement I use Zoo Med Grasslands Tortoise Food mixed with greens once in 2 days. I'm presuming this is due to poor humidity levels. I may not be able to comment on the 'slope' at the moment.

stinax182 said:
your substrate is okay to ingest in small instances like when it's stuck to food. if you know your tortoise is hydrated than it is fine. if not, soak your tort in warm water for 20 mins every other day. if your tort is actually taking bites of the substrate you could top it with mulch. that way the coco peat will hold moisture at the bottom. your tort could still burrow and should not eat the mulch if you get the right size.

Good news is the tort has quit eating the stuff now. I'm spraying the coco peat 2-3 times during the day time. He enjoys sleeping in shade mostly.

Other details:

Behavior wise the guy is pretty active and eats well. Sun light that the guy gets on a daily basis is a decent amount but I'm planning to now make this an indoor enclosure (existing one is a semi-indoor; balcony). Picked up this UV lighting which cost me a bomb getting it shipped to Bombay (India):
Mega-Ray European High Voltage (HV) SB 100watt - 220volt flood

Hoping this reaches my place safe as any damage to bulbs (international orders) are not covered by them.

A few more snaps from today morning:

tczA5mo.jpg

B04FKGO.jpg

R1SHhPk.jpg

IhyM32x.jpg

EwJ7aA6.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs. =)

Mephitis

5 Year Member
Mephitis said:
wellington said:
I too have concern about the dip in the shell. MBD (metabolic bone desease). Or was it hatched like that?

I was checking a few old pictures (the first few days when the guy was brought home) and supposedly the depression was not evident !! :(

Shall check if I can find a vet around here.

Alright guys. Just got home after taking her to the Vet. Shall post some interesting details in an hour or two !! :tort:

Mephitis

5 Year Member
Mephitis said:
Mephitis said:
wellington said:
I too have concern about the dip in the shell. MBD (metabolic bone desease). Or was it hatched like that?

I was checking a few old pictures (the first few days when the guy was brought home) and supposedly the depression was not evident !! :(

Shall check if I can find a vet around here.

Alright guys. Just got home after taking her to the Vet. Shall post some interesting details in an hour or two !! :tort:

Here are the updates:

The vet told me that there are a few vitamin and calcium deficiencies and has advised the following medicine.

Mutivitamins (15 days):

BNLA4aS.jpg

Calcium/Vitamin D3 SUpplement (15 days):

1KW9xXh.jpg

If any possible digestion issues (7 days):

y8dAvyt.jpg

Apart from this 1 part of Betadine with 2 parts of water. A bud dipped in this mixture to clean up the tortoise - once a week or so.

Any inputs on these meds guys? I would really appreciate the experts chiming in.

And it's a SHE :tort:

tabrez shady

MUMBAI
How
Here are the updates:

The vet told me that there are a few vitamin and calcium deficiencies and has advised the following medicine.

Mutivitamins (15 days):

BNLA4aS.jpg

1KW9xXh.jpg

y8dAvyt.jpg

Apart from this 1 part of Betadine with 2 parts of water. A bud dipped in this mixture to clean up the tortoise - once a week or so.

Any inputs on these meds guys? I would really appreciate the experts chiming in.

And it's a

Here are the updates:

Mutivitamins (15 days):

BNLA4aS.jpg

1KW9xXh.jpg

y8dAvyt.jpg

And it's a SHE
H
Here are the updates:

Mutivitamins (15 days):

BNLA4aS.jpg

1KW9xXh.jpg

y8dAvyt.jpg

And it's a SHE :tort:
How are you giving this medication to her?