possible respiratory infection?

Sydney G

I have 2 new 6 month old leopard tortoises. They are both 2.5 inches long. One of them has been acting strange. I've only had them about a month though. He is sleeping all the time and not very active. I tried raising the temperature at night from 74 to 84. He is more active now and eats more now but its still much less than the healthy one. A few days ago i noticed some clear discharge from his nose. After that I started noticing a bubble or two coming from his nose every now and then. Besides raising the night temperature i am also soaking them twice a day in warm water. i heard that could help. Like i said he is more active, but i still see the bubbles and I'm getting worried. If i hold him he just kinda lays his head out in my hand. He also brings his head into his shell allot and rubs it with his arms. Is this a respiratory infection and if so do i need to take him to a vet and get him antibiotics. Is there anything i can do now at home to get rid of it and is there any good vets near Shreveport Louisiana. The only one on the vet list i have been to before and she did not seem at all knowledgeable.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You need to set him up by himself . Bump up night and day temperatures . Warm soaks in baby food like carrots . See if he starts clearing up . If you can and you have a good vet then take him in . I'll never not tell anyone not to see a vet .

Sydney G

If it is a respiratory infection will that get rid of it or will he need antibiotics?

Sydney G

And when i did bump up the temperature it seemed to help his activity and eating but I still saw just the same amount if not more bubbles

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It takes time . 74 with high humidity will cause respiratory infections . I don't let night time temperature to drop below 80. But I let the humidity fall off at night . If you have two in the same enclosure the healthy one will bully the weaker one and take the basking spots and good warm hides . So set up a hospital tank keep it warm. I think you will see improvement in a few days . Some times you can fix it with these simple changes .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I start off in the morning with 100% then let it fade off . I have a humidifier on a timer . But others have it at 80 % but don't let the temperature drop below 80 º . If you read Tom's care tips at the top of the sulcata section it's the same .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A pair situation can lead to alot of health issues for a tort forced to be the submissive tort...pairs are a hard place to find harmony....

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
With humidity you need to remember not to allow an area to be cold.
Warm and humid is good. Cold and humid is a set up for health issues.

I would increase all temps for the sick tort. Heat boosts immunity. May need a vet that frequently treats tortoises. There is a section on the forum that has vet references.

Sydney G

I have them separated now. How does this look? And How low should i let the temp on the cool side get.

Attachments

• 1419822399497.jpg
    1419822399497.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Sydney G

I'm still noticing allot of discharge. I bumped up the temp and have been doing the carrot food baths. Is there anything else that can help. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet. What antibiotic should i request. I heard they were allergic to one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California