Possible substrate

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Recently attempted to try something other than coconut coir as a substrate. I have been happy with it for holding moisture and it always passes cleanly through all the torts...even the babies...if accidentally ingested. However even as moist as I keep it...there is still a annoying dust factor...especially with so many indoor enclosures all in the same room. I decided to try Orchid Bark and experiment with it in one of the Redfoot enclosures. She loved it...as a snack. I fed her a big meal before to reduce her hunger pangs with the hope it would deter her from tasting the new substrate...no dice. As soon as she finished her Zoomed/greens/blueberries...she went after the Orchid Bark. I couldn’t react fast enough to keep her from swallowing the first bite ( now I get to sweat out her passing it)...but stopped her from any more snacking and changed back to CC.
Now my question. Has anyone ever tried to use already established sod as a indoor enclosure substrate?. Not dirt with planted grass seed...but sod like what is found rolled up at a plant nursery or what could be removed or skimmed from the top of ones yard. Seems if it would work to grow indoors in a enclosure it would be perfect...watering it to grow the grass...which I think would be great for creating a natural humidity...utilization of tort waste as fertilizer instead of my daily turd patrol...and no dust. This wouldn’t probably work with the Leopard as it’s a grass eating machine but the Redfoots don’t seem to care about grass so much...as they do about plants and their regular food.
Has anyone tried this? Opinions on pros and cons or feasibility?

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Recently attempted to try something other than coconut coir as a substrate. I have been happy with it for holding moisture and it always passes cleanly through all the torts...even the babies...if accidentally ingested. However even as moist as I keep it...there is still a annoying dust factor...especially with so many indoor enclosures all in the same room. I decided to try Orchid Bark and experiment with it in one of the Redfoot enclosures. She loved it...as a snack. I fed her a big meal before to reduce her hunger pangs with the hope it would deter her from tasting the new substrate...no dice. As soon as she finished her Zoomed/greens/blueberries...she went after the Orchid Bark. I couldn’t react fast enough to keep her from swallowing the first bite ( now I get to sweat out her passing it)...but stopped her from any more snacking and changed back to CC.
Now my question. Has anyone ever tried to use already established sod as a indoor enclosure substrate?. Not dirt with planted grass seed...but sod like what is found rolled up at a plant nursery or what could be removed or skimmed from the top of ones yard. Seems if it would work to grow indoors in a enclosure it would be perfect...watering it to grow the grass...which I think would be great for creating a natural humidity...utilization of tort waste as fertilizer instead of my daily turd patrol...and no dust. This wouldn’t probably work with the Leopard as it’s a grass eating machine but the Redfoots don’t seem to care about grass so much...as they do about plants and their regular food.
Has anyone tried this? Opinions on pros and cons or feasibility?
I wouldn't risk i buying it. That stuff is loaded with pesticides and fertilizers. Maybe from the yard would work.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, ”sod” as provided from your garden center or an actual sod farm has been debunked here before. Ask @Tom

These sod farm nurseries use a lot of chemicals to keep the grubs & such away. Not the kind of stuff you wan5 in your tort’s pen.

Have you tried Cypress mulch yet? Cheaply priced from Lowes or HD, maintains moisture. I never saw our Sully eat any.

Skip K

Virginia
Yeah, ”sod” as provided from your garden center or an actual sod farm has been debunked here before. Ask @Tom

These sod farm nurseries use a lot of chemicals to keep the grubs & such away. Not the kind of stuff you wan5 in your tort’s pen.

Have you tried Cypress mulch yet? Cheaply priced from Lowes or HD, maintains moisture. I never saw our Sully eat any.
I was planning on using our yard as the donor...complete with weeds. The sod at nurseries is too thick...as well as problems others have mentioned. I think one of the problems I encountered with Orchid Bark...was I didn’t start out with it ( a guess). Our big Redfoot never saw it before and it had a new look and smell. I think that the Redfoot could maybe get acclimated to it...but I wont risk impaction to find out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of he grass varieties sold as sod contain plastic mesh to hold it together. Sometimes the plastic works its way up to the surface and a tortoise leg, or even head, may get tangled in it (causing amputation).

Skip K

Virginia
Most of he grass varieties sold as sod contain plastic mesh to hold it together. Sometimes the plastic works its way up to the surface and a tortoise leg, or even head, may get tangled in it (causing amputation).
I’m too cheap to buy sod...when I have a yard full of untreated, weed filled sod. I used to be very diligent in treating the lawn...but with 3 small but fast growing Sulcatas...I let the yard in the back go untreated last year. Years of working on a perfect lawn...and having enclosures with their own grass worked well...but I knew I’d have to give up the perfect lawn when I signed up for raising Sulcatas. No complaints

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I was planning on using our yard as the donor...complete with weeds. The sod at nurseries is too thick...as well as problems others have mentioned. I think one of the problems I encountered with Orchid Bark...was I didn’t start out with it ( a guess). Our big Redfoot never saw it before and it had a new look and smell. I think that the Redfoot could maybe get acclimated to it...but I wont risk impaction to find out
I tried doing this in my fist indoor/outdoor enclosure. The biggest problem I had was there are so many bugs! Also the light was an issue it never seemed to grow, but didn’t die either. It just survived and was always a little muddy.
Just an idea:
Maybe if you had a shade tolerant grass you could start from seed in a tubs. You could create your own sod in a controlled environment where bugs couldn’t get to it and you could also aclimate it to the artificial indoor light.
good luck.

Skip K

Virginia
I tried doing this in my fist indoor/outdoor enclosure. The biggest problem I had was there are so many bugs! Also the light was an issue it never seemed to grow, but didn’t die either. It just survived and was always a little muddy.
Just an idea:
Maybe if you had a shade tolerant grass you could start from seed in a tubs. You could create your own sod in a controlled environment where bugs couldn’t get to it and you could also aclimate it to the artificial indoor light.
good luck.
I’ve been wrestling with the possible bug issue as well. I have shade tolerant grasses in my yard. The problem is if I take yard grass I have a well established grass “mat” that might hold up better to constant foot traffic...and if I plant seed...it won’t be as solid a mat nor will the grass be as mature or durable. But then there’s the bug issue with yard grass. Possible bugs in the house or on the torts...not something I’d like to deal with. Over watering could be tricky...as well as the mat of grass will have nowhere to grow larger/new roots ( going downward like outdoors). If I can lick the bug issue...and have the mat of grass simply survive from late fall to spring...making it a yearly procedure...the potential benefits would make it worth it. The one solution to keeping grass alive in less than ideal circumstances would be man made fertilizer...but can’t use that. Course the tortoises do a fairly decent job of creating their own fertilizer.

Last edited: