Possibly new tortoise owner?

mtm

Hello my name is Matt, I'm from Northern, Kentucky and it looks like I'm a new tortoise owner. I found what I believe to be a Berlandier's or Texas Tortoise trying to cross the road.

I would have let him be or even helped him cross but I knew this was no native. After contacting the Kentucky Wildlife Center and discussing it with them, they agreed that the little guy was probably a pet which was let loose or wandered off. They said that it would likely die if released so now I have him hoping to find the owner.

It is a very tame tortoise and was happy to see me sit down a clean bowl of water. It even comes to me when I put my hand down. I have two little boys who have taken a liking to him and I wouldn't mind keeping it but I don't know the first thing about housing a tortoise. I raised an iguana when i was younger but that about the extent of my reptile knowledge.

Hope to learn some things from the forum. Any input and advice is much appreciated.

yillt

Welcome to the forum.
1. You need a large outdoor enclosure and keep him in there for now. All you have to do is put up a bit of fencing and make sure all the weeds are not poisonous for him.
2. Give him a long bath in a tub of warm water.
3. Check for any signs of illness such as bubbles coming out of mouth ETC.
4. Put up a picture so we can tell you if he is healthy and if he is a he or she. (Also we love pics)
5. Love him to bits and give him a good long life if you can't find his previous owners. :);)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Could we get a picture to certainly ID for it you. Not sure what a Texas tortoise would be doing way over there for.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Hi and welcome! You are entering a great exciting and gratifying experience of tortoise raising. Could you please post some photos so we can identify your tort and try to give you good advice on proper husbandry? Thanks and good luck!
Ron

mtm

Yes im sorry I tried to go back and edit this post to add a picture but was having difficulty. I posted pictures in the species appropriate forum. Here is one for quick reference.

uploadfromtaptalk1403293255541.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Matt!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here and you do have a pretty Torts.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Matt welcome to theTFO fromAZ . Have agreat tort day!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum