Post-egg laying female not eating

rte123

5 Year Member
RE: 8 year old Asian brown, first clutch layed 2 wks ago. She had not eaten for almost a month prior and is still not eating more than a little nibble on "candy" (ripe banana and sweet potato), ignoring her greens. She is pacing around the yard normally am and pm, although with less vigor than normal and soaking most of the day (it is hot here in Fresno). Honestly, she looks listless and depressed. Most of the time I keep her in her kennel to separate her from the males for now. If she were human, I would think she is suffering from post-partum depression. Occasionally climbs half-way up her nest mound (her 39 eggs were taken upon laying and are incubating) and stares at it, which I am sure is normal nest-guarding. But the listlessness and not eating are worrisome , making me wonder whether she may not have passed all of the eggs or maybe this is still normal. Thank you for any input you can offer?

zovick

10 Year Member!
You could take her to a vet for an X-ray to determine whether she has retained any eggs. If so, a dose of Oxytocin might be in order to get her to lay them. If she does have retained eggs, hopefully she will feel better after they are laid and get back to normal.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
I'm no expert, but I have Asian Blacks that I have invested a lot of time, sweat and money to keep them happy for the 5 years I had them and I think you have too. I agree with Zovick, to find the best Tort vet in the area to look at your girl. Please let us know how she is doing. We care.