Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ladysupaclown says:

Hello! I'm from LA California and To be honest I don't know how to use this app, I recently just downloaded it because I was hoping to find some answers on how to take of my baby sulcata tortoise. I don't know how to post questions or who to ask so I just sorta clicked anybody hoping you can help me. So anyways i recently got my baby sulcata tortoise at a reptile expo about a month ago and I've been doing a lot of research on how to take care of one. I have him indoors, Right now for lighting I'm using a UVB 26W bulb and for basking I'm using 100W bulb. For his bedding I'm using orchard hay and I've put a few rocks in there as we'll and I built a little shade spot were he can hide or sleep in. I used my old drawer as a tortoise table it's pretty huge for this little guy i figured the bigger the better. I wanted him to have a lot of space to walk around. And I have a little spot where he can soak himself in if he needs too. I'm feeding him romain lettuce and chopped up pieces of cactus. And I've never owned a tortoise In my life this is my first time and I wanna make sure I'm taking good care of him. I'm only 17 years old so whatever money I can get from a part time job I'll use it On him. I plan on making his home better but for now this is what I have. I want to add some dirt but I don't know what soil to use? And recently the past two days when I soaked him he urinated white stuff that had little dots in it, it felt squishy it looked like Parmesan cheese today he did not do that today his poop was normal but I'm a little worried for him I'm not sure if he's dehydrated or how I can hydrate him because so far he hasn't been drinking water. I know I'm asking a lot I just want to make sure he's okay I plan on growing old with this fella. I would like to show you a picture of his enclosure so you can see what I have but I don't know how too post images on this app :l anyways I'm looking forward into hearing from you soon. Please help me thank you for your time. :)nest I don't know how to use this app, I recently just downloaded it because I was hoping to find some answers on how to take of my baby sulcata tortoise. I don't know how to post questions or who to ask so I just sorta clicked anybody hoping you can help me. So anyways i recently got my baby sulcata tortoise at a reptile expo about a month ago and I've been doing a lot of research on how to take care of one. I have him indoors, Right now for lighting I'm using a UVB 26W bulb and for basking I'm using 100W bulb. For his bedding I'm using orchard hay and I've put a few rocks in there as we'll and I built a little shade spot were he can hide or sleep in. I used my old drawer as a tortoise table it's pretty huge for this little guy i figured the bigger the better. I wanted him to have a lot of space to walk around. And I have a little spot where he can soak himself in if he needs too. I'm feeding him romain lettuce and chopped up pieces of cactus. And I've never owned a tortoise In my life this is my first time and I wanna make sure I'm taking good care of him. I'm only 17 years old so whatever money I can get from a part time job I'll use it On him. I plan on making his home better but for now this is what I have. I want to add some dirt but I don't know what soil to use? And recently the past two days when I soaked him he urinated white stuff that had little dots in it, it felt squishy it looked like Parmesan cheese today he did not do that today his poop was normal but I'm a little worried for him I'm not sure if he's dehydrated or how I can hydrate him because so far he hasn't been drinking water. I know I'm asking a lot I just want to make sure he's okay I plan on growing old with this fella. I would like to show you a picture of his enclosure so you can see what I have but I don't know how too post images on this app :l anyways I'm looking forward into hearing from you soon. Please help me thank you for your time. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@ladysupaklown :

On thing that pops out at me is maybe you're using the wrong light. If your UVB26W bulb is shaped in a spiral, that may damage his eyes.

I know you're getting used to using the Forum, and haven't found your way around yet, but if you can go to the Sulcata section, we have some very good threads on how to care for baby sulcatas pinned at the top of that section.

If you're still having trouble, send me another private conversation and I'll try to help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California