Potentially Injured Beak

lyingcat8

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Hi all -- I feel like we've had the worst luck ever with this baby tort. We finally felt secure and like they were eating like they should be and acting like they should be, but then today I noticed that it looks like a piece of their lower jaw / beak has broken.

They want to eat, they keep walking over their food and trying, but they don't seem to be having much luck. They also seem to be trying to get the piece to come off by dragging it on a piece of slate in their enclosure.

The piece moves like a hang nail -- is this something we should try to trim off, or take to a vet to be trimmed off? Or is it something they'll be able to take care of on their own? image0.jpeg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0370.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a pretty face! Nice big, bright eyes.

I'm afraid that piece will have to come off. If you don't feel secure in doing it yourself, take him to a vet.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
What a pretty face! Nice big, bright eyes.

I'm afraid that piece will have to come off. If you don't feel secure in doing it yourself, take him to a vet.

Just wanted to say thanks again, Yvonne. I was able to trim the piece off fairly easily, and got almost all of it. This morning I put their food in a processor to make little bite sized pieces and they went to town immediately. Will likely wait a few days to see if I need to go back for the other piece.

Hope you have a good week! ♥