Pothos

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
CAn someone please tell me if pothos is a safe plant for torts, thank you, I can't seem to load the plant list.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I have found my forest dwellers will eat it. Manouria and indotestudo really favor it. Reds/yellows will eat it. I dont feed it to grazing species though as its not beneficial to them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are safe. I have one in with my leopard. He has no interest in eating it. Only smushing it and laying in it. Actually works good. I don't have to keep buying plants:D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I just commented regarding lithos on another forum.. It's amazing and really pretty comforting how many people use it..

However, the California Turtle and Tortoise Club (CTTC) has it on their toxic plant list. In addition, Russ Gurley in his "Keeping and Breeding Freshwater Turtles," and Amanda Ebenhack in her "Care and Rehabillitation of Turtles and Tortoises," both list it as toxic as well..

So many people have so many harm free experiences, but this still leaves a bit of cause for concern in my opinion. I think the listing may have more to do with high oxilates than the plant being plain poisonous, as it is listed. I'd imagine that would cause any signs to show up over time, rather than just plain killing your tortoise quickly.

Either way, this is an interesting topic that I look forward to learning more about in the future...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Anthony P said:
I just commented regarding lithos on another forum.. It's amazing and really pretty comforting how many people use it..

However, the California Turtle and Tortoise Club (CTTC) has it on their toxic plant list. In addition, Russ Gurley in his "Keeping and Breeding Freshwater Turtles," and Amanda Ebenhack in her "Care and Rehabillitation of Turtles and Tortoises," both list it as toxic as well..

So many people have so many harm free experiences, but this still leaves a bit of cause for concern in my opinion. I think the listing may have more to do with high oxilates than the plant being plain poisonous, as it is listed. I'd imagine that would cause any signs to show up over time, rather than just plain killing your tortoise quickly.

Either way, this is an interesting topic that I look forward to learning more about in the future...

By lithos do you mean pothos?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
"Lithos is a glyphic sans-serif typeface designed by Carol Twombly in 1989 for Adobe Systems" (wikipedia)

What an auto-correct! I don't see how it could be toxic however, because so many keepers seem to use it....Is there a large amount of oxalates present, then, that they list as toxic as you suggested? Certainly sparks interest...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I think its more because Pothos is toxic to some Mammals, but I've never had a problem with any Reptile/Amphibian and I have used it with a myriad of species.......

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Pothos is a native plant to New Caledonia (northern Australia to Indochina), and it is a high use diet item for prehensile tailed skinks. Epipremnum aureum, and other species in the genus, is often confused with philodendrons by some people, and that, is my guess, as to why it has ended up on herp poison plant lists, aside from the idea that, as Eric pointed out, there are many cross over ideas about what plant is toxic to what group of animals.

I have fed it to WC Asian forest species who seem to recognize it and relish it.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.