Pothos

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
I've seen and read several people that put potho's in they're enclosure but i've only found toxicity for dogs and cats could someone send me a link about pothos and torts to put my mind at easy?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Don't feed, toxic to dogs:
This is what ehow says:
Ingesting

If you think your dog has chewed or ingested part of a pothos plant, remain calm and collect all materials you believe were involved. If you are not sure whether your dog chewed the plant, call your veterinarian as a precaution. Whether your dog shows symptoms or not, your veterinarian will advise you to either observe your dog or bring it to animal hospital. If you want more information relating to the pothos plant and its possible effects, call the ASPCA's dog poison control hotline (888-426-4435).

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Petpoisonhelpline.com:
Symptoms:
Drooling
Oral pain
Pawing at the mouth
Vomiting
Lack of appetite
Poisonous to cats & dogs...
Good luck!:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pothos is fine for only select species.
I've seen no interest in Redfoots. Indotestudo, Kinixys erosa, dendiculata, and Manouria eat it readily with no issues. But I wouldn't try it for any other species than that.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you I always thought that was a vary gated philadendum. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
After seeing it used by box turtle and tort keepers, I began using it with my Leopards. Over time between mine and fosters I've had 17 Leopards around pothos. None have eaten it. But they all enjoyed hiding under it :)

No one has to use it...but I have had no issues with it. I like it because it's pretty and easy to keep alive in the chamber. Mine grow so well that I constantly have to prune it.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Pothos is fine for only select species.
I've seen no interest in Redfoots. Indotestudo, Kinixys erosa, dendiculata, and Manouria eat it readily with no issues. But I wouldn't try it for any other species than that.

If a redfoot were to eat do you think they it would cause them problems>

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
After seeing it used by box turtle and tort keepers, I began using it with my Leopards. Over time between mine and fosters I've had 17 Leopards around pothos. None have eaten it. But they all enjoyed hiding under it :)

No one has to use it...but I have had no issues with it. I like it because it's pretty and easy to keep alive in the chamber. Mine grow so well that I constantly have to prune it.

i still wanna use it just getting a lot of conflicting answers lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Only do what you feel confident in.

I use this as my main plant guide:
http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
and a pothos is listed there.

Again, I don't use it as food. I wouldn't cut it up to offer it and I always have food available. So it's been used as decoration and hiding places with my torts.

i'll probably use them i've noticed my red seems to taste test everything then leave it alone unless he's super hungry lol

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I put pothos is in with Freckles my leopard when she was very young and I didn't realize it until I pulled it out a day later that she had nibbled on a leaf. Several bites were taken and there were no negative effects from this at all but I was freaked out a little since everyone told me it wasn't an edible but she was completely fine thankfully.

Elohi(Earth)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I put pothos is in with Freckles my leopard when she was very young and I didn't realize it until I pulled it out a day later that she had nibbled on a leaf. Several bites were taken and there were no negative effects from this at all but I was freaked out a little since everyone told me it wasn't an edible but she was completely fine thankfully.

Elohi(Earth)

that makes me feel better. i can't remember where i read it but i read somewhere that red foots eat toxic mushrooms in the wild that they can metabolize them and be fine while i won't cut them up and use a food source i dont think i have a whole lot to worrie about i'll just have to keep my eye on it

i'll just try to go heavier on the safe plants

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
that makes me feel better. i can't remember where i read it but i read somewhere that red foots eat toxic mushrooms in the wild that they can metabolize them and be fine while i won't cut them up and use a food source i dont think i have a whole lot to worrie about i'll just have to keep my eye on it

i'll just try to go heavier on the safe plants
She was really tiny and young so I practically held my breath for 3 days but she was perfectly fine. Now of a tort is like trying bulldoze a huge pothos to the ground in a sitting I'd worry, unless of course it was like with Freckles and absolutely nothing came of it.
I actually started a thread earlier today about how often we may assume something to be toxic because it's toxic to mammals. I just wonder if they have a better sense of what is edible vs toxic than we do.

Elohi(Earth)