potting soil as substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I am wondering for those of you who using potting soil or top soil as bedding, are they good? do you recommend organic soil or just regular soil?

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I don't use soil but I've read a few threads on here and if you do go that route you should for sure get the Organic Top Soil.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I don't know if you can really call it "soil" lol I just use good old organic soil. Can get messy, but what's a tortoise if not a little digger? Good old dirt. No perlite, no miracle grow, (My little one is growing just fine :p) Just good old healthy dirt.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I used a coir/sand mixture when my Russian was a hatchling, and eventually switched to coir/topsoil because I wasn't impressed with the sand. Now I just use organic top soil, and it works great!

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I'm currently using tropical soil that came in the brick form, topsoil which I found a 40lb. Bag at walmart for about $2 and a little spaghnum moss for the hide and it's also sprinkled throughout the enclosure :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the cheapest potting soil I can find that doesn't have perlite in it. I use it for my baby box turtles. Sometimes I'll mix in a little bit of orchid bark, just to give it more substance. The brand I've used most often is the generic potting soil sold at Payless Drug Store. Never had any trouble with my baby turtles.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Mine is Earthgro topsoil made out of peat, Forrest products, compost, ash, and sand

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use super soil sold at lowes ( super soil is just a name nothing super about it) no additives ( like fertilizer) just plain old dirt, and it is super cheap like 6 bucks for a big big bag.

HtVic

5 Year Member
seems like everyone use top soil very well, as long as its organic.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Just be careful. I pulled a large piece of plastic, like part of a grocery bag, out of my organic soil I bought at walmart.

yarok

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata and im planning to go to home depot and buy some topsoil and maybe some plants for his enclosure. are there any plants that I can grow indoors with no natural sunlight and just a MVB? Is this a good idea?

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
I just switched to organic top soil , im liking it the torts are loving it also at spencers lawn and garden they had it for 2.50 for the really big bags

Status
Not open for further replies.