~Potting Soil~

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn

5 Year Member
Hi everyone:)
Im mervyn from Singapore but living in Taiwan.
Recently i bought a 3 months old Sulcata. And i added Potting Soil as his substrate. I notice when i mist the soil it starts to get a bit sticky to his body and some soil over his eyes and face.it looks messy to me and some soil cover here and there over his food.
What worries me now is, will he gets irritate by the soil over his eyes and if he consume his food will he able to east properly with soil over his food?:)

Attachments

• 2012-08-28 02.54.34.png
    2012-08-28 02.54.34.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 55

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Potting soil usually has additives in it that I would not want my tortoise living in. I don't know what's in the stuff you have over there, but this is usually how it is over here. Can you get coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch or just plain yard dirt over there?

You can feed him on a small tray of some sort to try to keep some of the substrate off of the food. A little bit is unavoidable and shouldn't hurt anything.

mervyn

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Potting soil usually has additives in it that I would not want my tortoise living in. I don't know what's in the stuff you have over there, but this is usually how it is over here. Can you get coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch or just plain yard dirt over there?

You can feed him on a small tray of some sort to try to keep some of the substrate off of the food. A little bit is unavoidable and shouldn't hurt anything.

Hi tom:)

I have change the substrate to Zoo Med Repti Bark. It indicated that it also holds humidity.
You think is a acceptable choice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes. One of my favorites. That is what my babies are on right now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.