Power failures!! Help

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Ontario residents are being warned to expect power outages for extended periods over the night and day tomorrow. I don't have a generator, or the funds to get one. I have a fireplace for me and the kids to stay warm, but what can I do for Benny?
Appreciate some suggestions ASAP cause I need to get to the store and back before this gets any worse. Everything is ice covered.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
If they are short outages warm up the car

Put them in a small plastic storage container and place hand warmers under the bottom. And turn the heat on in your vehicle

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I know this may not be the safest method, but there are heaters that generate heat by means of kerosene or gas (propane). If you can get a couple of canisters of propane, you may be able to keep one room warm enough until this is over. That's what I would do worse case scenario. I probably wouldn't get much sleep keeping on eye on this heating method, but hey, it's only one night.
Sh3wulf said:
Ontario residents are being warned to expect power outages for extended periods over the night and day tomorrow. I don't have a generator, or the funds to get one. I have a fireplace for me and the kids to stay warm, but what can I do for Benny?
Appreciate some suggestions ASAP cause I need to get to the store and back before this gets any worse. Everything is ice covered.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
get as many hot hands warmers you can get your hands on as possible. Most outdoor supply stores will have them.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Hand warmers are getting sought out. And I have an insulated container I'm going to pack him in with warmers so I only must heat a very small space. Hopefully not going to be as bad as they are saying. Sometimes they over exaggerate.
http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here we heat our water with gas, so even when the power is out, we still have hot water. You can put gallon jugs or five gallon bottles of hot water in there to keep the heat up.

If you have electric water heating, you better take out a loan for a gennie. :)

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I'm with Tom on this one. If you live where it's really cold in the winter, and you get through this storm, you gotta seriously look at a backup system. You can only go to the well so often. I put a generator in this past spring and the power has gone out three times for hours at a time already.

turtletortoisefarmer

5 Year Member
I use a buddy heater .you can get at the tractor store. it uses the green bottle gas or you can get a hose for the 20gl. bottle. I have a small room and i can put them all in and heat it.wish you luck.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Ours just went...babys tank down to 76....I told my son to out them at the bottom of the small coleman lunch box and start the warmers and put a cloth or some hay above it....will thwy be too hor for him? And keep the lid slightly scewed so some air gets in but not too much so heat leaves...of couse I am at work and son knows nohing about the baby....am I right or not???? I am soooo glad I bougt hese last week. Hubby kindaa balked like I was crazy n over worried......one week later!

Will they be too hot...sorry...fat fingers