Powersun UVB 100 watt too hot....mounting ideas needed

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
More questions I know sorry. I utilized the search function and still have questions. I am waiting on my substrate still but wanted to test my new powersun bulb to start playing with the height needed to obtain a 90 degree basking spot for my soon to be red foot. I positioned it as high up as my zoo med stand allows which is probably 14-16 inches. It's a 24 inch stand but when the the bulb is hung from the hook it obviously hangs downward eating up a third of the stands height. So I turn it on and run to the store to grab a few things......and wine long day hehe. Anyway I come home and temp gun the bottom of the cage under the bulb and was shocked to see it over 100 degrees which is no bueno. My room even with AC gets all the sun and regularly is in the high 70's even reaching 80 midday in the summer.

So I get on here and start researching......seems many have had the same experience with these bulbs and a lower wattage is recommended or adjusting the bulbs height. Well since the bulb is here I'd like to make it work until it dies and revisit a lower wattage bulb in the future so I then research methods of hanging the bulb higher and this is where I am stuck. Was thinking about ordering this :https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6FBTQQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 but then there's the issue of mounting a hook to the ceiling and these wouldn't be long enough so suggestions are welcome. How and what do you use to hang your bulbs? Enclosure is a 4ft plastic tote btw and this is for a soon to be acquired red foot hatchling.

xirxes

Whatever you use, make sure it's hard mounted.

Simpson strong tie mounted to wall with chain or sturdy rope will allow you to raise or lower it.

At least two national news stories about tortoises knocking over heat lamps and burning down houses.

daniellenc

Maryland
Whatever you use, make sure it's hard mounted.

Simpson strong tie mounted to wall with chain or sturdy rope will allow you to raise or lower it.

At least two national news stories about tortoises knocking over heat lamps and burning down houses.

Oh It won't be clamped I am looking for recommendations on something strong enough to be mounted in ceiling joists or wall studs that will allow me further play with height for temp control. I am hoping someone here has a set up I can borrow (steal) an idea from. With Maryland's crazy extreme winter and summer temps I need something I can adjust height wise at least twice a year. I'm used to UTH's on Ranco stats I can control but the zoomed bulbs don't allow for that. Very used to probes and stats as a control and guide. I have temp/humidity digital equipment but am not used to regulating temps without a control so this is new territory for sure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Closing off the enclosure and then mounting your lights INSIDE will GREATLY help you to regulate your humidity as well as your temperatures. (search "closed chamber" enclosures)
Avoid bright lights. Avoid night time temperatures below 75 (especially with high humidity) Avoid daytime temperatures above 88-89. And get the humidity up and over 75%. I do this, like many others by using an orchid bark substrate layer covered by a layer of garden soil. Water is poured into the corners and the bark absorbs it, releasing humidity. But leaving the top layer, the layer that the tortoise sits on, dry.
Redfoot need a very specific set of parameters. Different folks have accomplished this in different ways.
I would recommend using CHE to heat your enclosure with a simple strip florescent doing the job of UVB. Nice and low light. IMO that Powersun is both too bright and potentially too hot mounted close. Redfoot will overheat very quickly. For example, mine live outdoors and will hide in their shaded boxes all day except at dawn and sunset. With a brief excursion out if it rains.
Instead of having a basking area. Try to get the entire enclosure into the 80-85 degree range.