Powersun

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
Frustrating, my powersun died today, its only a month old. Good thing they have a warranty, still annoying! However I have to use a crappy bulb until the replacement comes in. Ba Humbug!!!

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yeah i had that problem with the powersun a couple of times so I went to exo terra solar glow have had no problems with them so far anyway. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Try it again. Sometimes they will go off if they get too warm. They reset and will work again after they cool.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Personally, I'm not impressed with the PowerSun's either. Mine seem to be their "heating power". I have can barely get the temp under it to 99F at only 10 to 12 inches from the substrate. When I first got it, I had to place it on a brick because it got so hot in the enclosure. When mine 12 months are up with these bulbs I will definitely be finding an alternative.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
I had the same issue (100W Powersun, 1 month use and burnout). The filament had actually broken and the coating on the inside of the bulb was scratched from whatever exploded when it burned out. I don't know if it overheated or if one of the cats bumped it.

I got a replacement from Zoo Med, and am trying a 10" brooder fixture from Home Depot which seems to dissapate heat better and is actually much more reflective than the Zoo Med Deep Dome I was using before. No problems so far with the replacement bulb in the new fixture. I've also had not issues getting up to 105 deg + in the basking area with the bulb about 16" away.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It could be related to "noise" in your wiring. If there are surges it could cause your bulb to blink or burn. I had that problem in my old apartment, my bulb was constantly blinking. I moved and used the same bulb without issues afterward.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I gave it an hour and retested it, it came back on. Which I guess is good but it had only been running for thirty mins this morning when it went out. Going to have to keep my eye on it. It's in a zoo med mini dome and I have had no problems until today.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
littlestella said:
I gave it an hour and retested it, it came back on. Which I guess is good but it had only been running for thirty mins this morning when it went out. Going to have to keep my eye on it. It's in a zoo med mini dome and I have had no problems until today.

If it's a 100 W, the mini dome could most definitely be the problem. It's overheating in that little dome. You need a full size dome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. You need to go to Home Depot and get a 11" aluminum hood with the heavy duty cord and ceramic socket. Last I Checked they were $12.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Any time one of those bulbs go out let them sit off for at least 30 min to allow the internal ballast to reset itself, otherwise it could blow out the bulb or just appear as though it isn't working when in reality it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.