Practical Guidelines for Reptile Care (Dr. Mader)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
-EJ said:
hmmm... I don't know how to take this outside of a personal attack.

I don't know what's best... I know what I know and I realise I'm an individual with a personal opinion.

The comment was ignorant. look up the word.

Ignorant: lacking in knowledge or training.

Egocentric: regarding the self as the center of all worldly things.

Most people would consider being called ignorant an insult, or a personal attack.

You failed to properly read Terryo's post: Well, it's just MHO, and an inexperienced one at that, but I wouldn't buy a book by someone who doesn't breed, own, or observe ......anything.

She was expressing an opinion, with the humble caveat that she was "inexperienced". You should look up "humble" sometime.

Your calling her point of view "ignorant" is the moral equivalent of Donald Trump calling people "peasants". It's derogatory and excessive. Just my experienced opinion.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
terryo said:
I would certainly take my animals to Dr. Mader, who "is probably the leading authority on Herp medicine". as you put it. But....I would not by his book if it's on tortoise or turtle care because he has no hands on experience, except for the field of medicine.

The bit I quoted is not much more than a footnote in the massive book, and is part of the general cares section, which goes into each segment in more depth for each group of herps- after all, part of the job of a vet (or a doctor) is to prevent you from getting sick in the first place.

There is one quirk of Dr. Mader's book that gets overlooked- he is the EDITOR, not the author of each section. The author for the section in question is John V. Rossi, who wrote "What's Wrong With My Iguana" and what may be one of the most expensive snake care books I have seen so far- "Snakes of the United States and Canada: Natural History and Care in Captivity" for $160. A person like this may not have his one hands-on experience with torts, but will certainly do his research before submitting the article for review and inclusion.

Beside... I posted what I thought was an interesting bit so you wouldn't have to go out and by the really $$$ book yourself! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Madkins007 said:
terryo said:
I would certainly take my animals to Dr. Mader, who "is probably the leading authority on Herp medicine". as you put it. But....I would not by his book if it's on tortoise or turtle care because he has no hands on experience, except for the field of medicine.

The bit I quoted is not much more than a footnote in the massive book, and is part of the general cares section, which goes into each segment in more depth for each group of herps- after all, part of the job of a vet (or a doctor) is to prevent you from getting sick in the first place.

There is one quirk of Dr. Mader's book that gets overlooked- he is the EDITOR, not the author of each section. The author for the section in question is John V. Rossi, who wrote "What's Wrong With My Iguana" and what may be one of the most expensive snake care books I have seen so far- "Snakes of the United States and Canada: Natural History and Care in Captivity" for $160. A person like this may not have his one hands-on experience with torts, but will certainly do his research before submitting the article for review and inclusion.

Beside... I posted what I thought was an interesting bit so you wouldn't have to go out and by the really $$$ book yourself! :)

And...I appreciate it. I thought it was a very interesting post.

Status
Not open for further replies.