Pre-teen to join this site?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
He's lying. Profanity filter my ***!
See? It works fine! LOL.
Profanity is the least of my worries she can handle it! I am embarrassed to admit that at times I use some choice words and unfortunately my children get to witness it... The good thing is that they know better then copy cat their mom or God forbid, use similar language at school, or music lesson, or gymnastics... That would be really embarrassing!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You Guys are great! Thank you for understanding and trying to help. To some this may seem trivial but to a mother who's spent past 11 years thinking of few other things than safety, nurturing, growth and healthy development of her children, this is a major mile stone. I simply want to do this right:) Just like I need to know we provide best home for our baby tortoises. As for my checking out the off topic threads, I fully intend to do that in time, but for now the little time I can spend online I have to invest in getting all the necessary info for our new babies. Their setup (or setups) are nowhere near where we'd like them to be. Things are in place but some arranged very temporarily. Thinking here of our light fixture holders. I have yet to figure out something that looks better and know there are threads about that with pictures, I just need to have the time to find them. Anyway, thank you once again! And I too am looking forward to making new friends here

What type of fixture holders are you thinking of?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can not lock a child off from the world. But neither can you allow free reign, to many horror stories. A healthy balance.is needed. Perhaps you can get the app on a smart phone with her account logged in, so you can monitor her account activity?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Okay. Just reread your first post and see you have a daughter. Fortunately, girls tend to be more mature. Please though, for my peace of mind, insist she maintain personal privacy both in threads and in private mail. Do you have a smart phone? There is an app that you could download for this great group of people which would allow you to monitor her usage without looking over her shoulder. I'm only hyper like this because I raised 2 beautiful daughters myself.
I'd be very interested in the app you have mentioned. Yes, we all have iphones here. I'll definitely look for that.

Pearly

5 Year Member
What type of fixture holders are you thinking of?
Our babies' indoor home is a shallow large storage bin (6inches or so high). I improvised suspending the lights and heater at 10-12 inches, it works for now but I want something better looking. I was going to scour the enclosure section for the info and pictures on that topic from other members

Pearly

5 Year Member
You can not lock a child off from the world. But neither can you allow free reign, to many horror stories. A healthy balance.is needed. Perhaps you can get the app on a smart phone with her account logged in, so you can monitor her account activity?
Correct! I'd never presume to do either! She is to sweet to take any unnecessary risk and yet to smart to keep her on a leash. Provided opportunity and guidance she will flourish. And yes! I will be researching this app. Thank you

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I was just thinking if the two of you share an account you could, I hate to use the word, spy on her activities here. But I guess with here forum login info you could do that regardless. I'm really tired and I'm down for the night. I'll talk with you tomorrow.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Got it! That's how I've been accessing my account. Did you mean to use it through just monitoring her posts? Or is there something else? Please, excuse my ignorance
The app is great. Very easy to use and you can actually monitor anybody's post :) just click on their avatar and their profile comes up. From there you can see all the posts the person has made. I don't have kids but I think this is a kid safe place. Especially compared to other forums. And with kids growing up with forums now it is very important they learn how to be safe on them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing wrong with spying. It is in the parents job description

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
Hi I'm just a bit older to your daughter and encourage you to give her the opportunity to use this forum. I think It's a great learning experience