Predator (?) on my property...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
For the past week or so, when I take Misty out at night in the completely fenced in backyard to do her business, she has worried the fence, barking and running back and forth. I figured there was an opossum on the other side, or at least the smell of one who had passed by. I know there are 'possums here (or maybe a stray cat).

Then in the a.m. when we go out to feed and take care of the tortoises, Misty's still in alert mode, paying particular attention to my garden shed.

So this a.m. I went out a little earlier than usual to cut some mulberry and grape leaves to include in my baby tortoise salad and I took Misty with me. I was on the far side of the house and I could hear Misty barking around on the other side. When I went over to where she was, she was looking out the gate towards the street. I looked too, and I spied what I thought was a baby coyote near the outside of the fence where my tortoise garden is (I didn't have my glasses on). I went out the gate, leaving Misty inside, and peeked around the pump house towards the garden and it was a little fox! Cute little thing, but as soon as it saw me, it took off.

I think by going out a little earlier than normal, we interrupted the fox on his way back to his den, which is either under the barn or under the shed. I hope we didn't chase him away. I love foxes.

The garden shed:
fox a.jpg

The spot under the barn has fresh dirt all around the entrance hole, on both sides of the fence. And Misty can't get on the other side, so I know the fresh dirt is not from her:
fox b.jpg fox c.jpg

I do have a bit of worry in the back of my mind. The box turtle yards are just on the other side of the shed, and behind the barn. If the fox were hungry enough it might consider a box turtle dinner. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, and in the evening when I make my rounds, I make sure none of the turtles are still uncovered.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wildlife is such a nice thing to have so close to ones home, except for situations like these, having animals that could become their dinner. If the fox wants your box turtles, he will dig them up. Not sur how much damage he would do before giving up on them, or if he would give up. If you want to keep the fox around, I would make sure there is some type of food for the fox to find instead of the turtles, or lock turtles up in safe box or get the fox to move on. It is a when will he get them, not if.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i do love Foxes. but you might have to get creative to protect the turtles until foxes have moved on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I saw my fox again this a.m. When Misty and I went out this morning, I followed her to see where she went. She headed to the barn and the entrance to the fox den. She was smelling around the opening when I caught sight of the fox coming across the pasture towards the barn. The fox saw Misty and barked. She sounds just like a tiny Yorkshire terrier. She stood there barking, trying to get Misty's attention (which makes me think she might have babies in the den). Misty can't get into the pasture and she was looking around trying to see where the barking was coming from. The fox hadn't seen me, so I ducked back out of sight and called Misty and put her in the house. Then I sneaked back and barely peeked around the edge of the barn. The fox was sitting in the middle of the pasture just looking towards the barn. She outwaited me, as I really didn't have all that time to just stand around waiting. Today is errand running day. The whole time I watched, two mocking birds were dive bombing the fox. But she was intent on watching the barn and didn't pay any attention to the birds.

If she does have babies, this doesn't bode well for Misty being my sidekick. I always take her outside with me. But I don't want her chasing baby foxes. I guess from now on I'm going to have to go out first and make sure the coast is clear.

I thought I was feeding all the neighborhood cats, as I was having to fill up my cat feeders more than usual. And occasionally the tub I keep the cat food in was tipped over, cats usually don't do that. Later this afternoon I'll put a cat feeder in the barn for the fox. Time to research and see what they eat.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
same as a dog would if it lived outdoors. They eat rodents, baby chicks, whatever meat they can find and occasional fruits/veggies.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I saw my fox again this a.m. When Misty and I went out this morning, I followed her to see where she went. She headed to the barn and the entrance to the fox den. She was smelling around the opening when I caught sight of the fox coming across the pasture towards the barn. The fox saw Misty and barked. She sounds just like a tiny Yorkshire terrier. She stood there barking, trying to get Misty's attention (which makes me think she might have babies in the den). Misty can't get into the pasture and she was looking around trying to see where the barking was coming from. The fox hadn't seen me, so I ducked back out of sight and called Misty and put her in the house. Then I sneaked back and barely peeked around the edge of the barn. The fox was sitting in the middle of the pasture just looking towards the barn. She outwaited me, as I really didn't have all that time to just stand around waiting. Today is errand running day. The whole time I watched, two mocking birds were dive bombing the fox. But she was intent on watching the barn and didn't pay any attention to the birds.

If she does have babies, this doesn't bode well for Misty being my sidekick. I always take her outside with me. But I don't want her chasing baby foxes. I guess from now on I'm going to have to go out first and make sure the coast is clear.

I thought I was feeding all the neighborhood cats, as I was having to fill up my cat feeders more than usual. And occasionally the tub I keep the cat food in was tipped over, cats usually don't do that. Later this afternoon I'll put a cat feeder in the barn for the fox. Time to research and see what they eat.
You have a ZOO over there. I Love it! ! !:<3::<3::<3:

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't feed a predator. Use one of those live traps and call fish and game to remove it.....Bodes trouble for you I bet

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I'm sorry for going slightly off topic here, but is Misty a dobe? I have a purebred fawn dobe with natural ears and nobody ever believes he is even a Doberman. Misty almost looks like she could be his twin.

On the subject of foxes there was a pair that would run around a field/forest bordering a school I was renovating last summer. They were out almost every morning. I started every day with 15 to 20 minutes of fox watching. Beautiful animals. I don't think I would be happy with them near my tortoise though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We use to have a family at the brown house. They made sure our chicken population didn't last, but I would take the foxes any day. Might consider a hot wire on top of the box turtles, but my guess is they will be okay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry for going slightly off topic here, but is Misty a dobe? I have a purebred fawn dobe with natural ears and nobody ever believes he is even a Doberman. Misty almost looks like she could be his twin.

On the subject of foxes there was a pair that would run around a field/forest bordering a school I was renovating last summer. They were out almost every morning. I started every day with 15 to 20 minutes of fox watching. Beautiful animals. I don't think I would be happy with them near my tortoise though.

Yes, Misty is a fawn doberman with a long tail crop and un-cropped ears. My side kick and faithful companion. She may be about 3 or 4 years old now.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Don't feed a predator. Use one of those live traps and call fish and game to remove it.....Bodes trouble for you I bet

i don't know the laws in every state, but i don't think you can trap a mother with babies. That would mean leaving the babies to die a slow death. I think there are certain months trapping is allowed, but i don't think it is allowed when it's a mother with babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No worries. I'm not planning on doing anything to disturb her. I've positioned a portable dog exercise fence across the walk-way to the barn so now Misty isn't allowed over there without me.