predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Should we be worried about two raccoons that come to our backyard at night? They are coming to eat the leftover tomatoes in our garden. The raised garden is on the same side of the house as Ralph's house, but not directly next to it. Ralph has a towel in front of the door and a piece of wood in front of that. But it's not attached. He has a red heat lamp inside that you can see glow from the light through the dogloo.

The only precaution I can think to make is attaching and locking the wood to the dogloo. But how do I do that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you should. You are going to have to afix some sort of cover over the door that a raccoon can't pry off. I use a piece of plywood with a cinder block propped up against it. The cinder block is heavy enough that I doubt a raccoon could move it away from the door.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I'm not sure where you live---does it get below 60 at night?
I wouldn't chance anything that is thought to be a predator!
If you don't want to tie into the enclosure with a "permanent" door, what if you could put a post in the ground--close to the opening --on each side-- and attach the locking door to that. Also, if you think the light being on at night is an attraction--don't put it on.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
After our scare I would totally protect Ralph from raccoons. It's a scary thing when you love your tortoise so much and have to worry about a darn predator coming in the night while you're sleeping. I really like Yvonne's idea. Very simple, low cost solution.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Yvonne~ Do you think I would need to cover the entire door? I usually leave a few inches to get some air inside. Your idea seems like the easiest way to fix the potential problem.

Annieski~ We are in San Diego. The temps at night are a crap shoot these days. It's 90-100 during the day, but last night everything was soaking wet (maybe drizzle???) It was pretty cold (by my standards). For the most part, he would need the heat on at night. I have been looking into getting a CHE, which would solve the light problem. Haven't gotten it yet, though. We can't put posts in the ground or make any type of changes to the property. We are in military housing.

Not that I'm trying to downplay the possible seriousness of this issue, but do you think that as long as their is a food source for the raccoons that they wouldn't bother Ralph? We have been wondering what was getting our tomatoes (and grapes on the other side of the house) but thought it was a field mouse.

We are gearing up to replant our fall garden (and we are also going to put a barrier around it this time) so I was just wondering.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I love San Diego--- my son is a marine and who knows---maybe that could be his next PDS. After I thought about it-- maybe some "chicken-wire" fencing that goes around the whole enclosure with the opening part in the front, by the door, would offer a little more "security". JMT

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob has a regular door on his shed with a lock and I have seen the raccoons trying to open it. I certainly would not trust them around my tortoise, they eat meat also. You need to protect Ralph.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they could try to get Ralph. I don't think a piece of wood and a cinderblock will even slow them down. You need to put on a hinged door with a lockable latch on the other side. Then lock him up every night and let him out every morning. I'd put out some Have-a-Heart traps and send those coons packing. I love raccoons... out in nature, not in my yard. They are extremely powerful, intelligent and aggressive animals. I know, I have the scars to prove it.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
We will be going to Lowe's tomorrow so we can get supplies for making a hinged door. For tonight, we will put the board up with the cinderblock.

He has free roam of the backyard, we can't do the chickenwire thing over his enclosure.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
chicken wire wouldnt stop a coon anyway...
you may need to build a wooden box to make adding a locking door easier.
some spca/shelter get dog house donated and you can pick one up cheaper than pet store. Or check craigs list pet section or garden for sheds or dog houses...
also be sure to pick up anything that would be food to them. Dont leave it out at night. If they have no reason to be there, they should go away.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Yes they could try to get Ralph. I don't think a piece of wood and a cinderblock will even slow them down. You need to put on a hinged door with a lockable latch on the other side. Then lock him up every night and let him out every morning. I'd put out some Have-a-Heart traps and send those coons packing. I love raccoons... out in nature, not in my yard. They are extremely powerful, intelligent and aggressive animals. I know, I have the scars to prove it.

I must agree, very strong and determined. They tore apart our rabbit hutch one time and ate our bunny. Little bloody hand prints left behind identifying the culprits.

If his box doesn't have a floor you might want to do some thing so they don't dig under or just tip the whole thing over.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A coon will eat anything it can get it's hands on, I know from several dead RES I found one morning.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
His house is a dogloo and it's on cement, so no chance of them digging under or tipping it. My husband fixed a heat lamp inside by drilling a piece of wood to the inside ceiling. We clamped the heat lamp to it and then bent nails over the clamp so it wouldn't slip off.

He is going to measure a piece of wood and drill hinges onto the opening of the dogloo. We will be locking it at night. I know raccoons are very intelligent, so other than a key lock, what do you suggest. A key lock just seems like a perfect solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.