Preparing Driftwood for Reptiles

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Hello everyone,

In addition to a tortoise, I have an anery Honduran milksnake. I am building a larger cage for him and am planning on putting in driftwood for him to climb. Rather than buying driftwood, there is a large supply of it along the Mississippi River by my house.

Does anyone have experience with preparing driftwood for use in habitats?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soak enclosure pieces in a 5% bleach solution, the longer the better. Then rinse repeatedly and soak in clean water (change the water a few times) until there is no sign of the bleach smell. And If you are really paranoid you can add a dechlorinating agent, like the ones for fish tanks, on the final soak. The whole process takes a few days.

While I have not had the need to do this....this is a common method I have read about....

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
I have used driftwood many times in my enclosures. All I used was fresh water out of the hose then let it dry. I did this until I could not smell anything fishy. The driftwood I used came out of the ocean not a river, but they took 2-3 times before the smell was gone and then I would leave in the sun to dry out for a week or two.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bleach my drift wood and wash it really good .Then let it sit in the sun until its dry . I have Three pieces for each snake is I can always ha e one clean .

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I did the same as mike. I have 3-4 pieces of driftwood i found at the river that are in my tegu cage. They were
Covered in sand and a few bugs. I made a solution of bleach with water. First i sprayed off the pieces with water, and then i sprayed them with the bleach. Let it sit for half an hour or an hour, and then rinsed them off and repeated for a second time. After rinsing off again they sat out in the sun to dry. Worked really well