ashleyyandfriends

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hello all! I just signed up today. I have been trying to research as much as I can before committing to taking an adult Russian home.

When researching, I've been trying to read as many articles and watch as many YouTube videos to help me determine what is a true consensus across the board. I have read over the care sheet on here a million times, but one thing I'm struggling with is knowing if I should or should not provide timothy hay? I have seen some people use it, and others not.

Question 2: For those who use coco coir, to dampen, to not dampen? That is thy question ... number 2.

I have all intentions to build a tort table very soon, so I'll be temporarily housing in a 55 gal bin tub. (The owner who I am in contact with owns, breeds, and rehabilitates various turtles/tortoises - he says they're about 4" in diameter.) My husband and I are already planning and creating dimensions to a proper tort table. I already have an extra mercury bulb and lamp, I have already planned to get a plant saucer and a piece of slate for the tank. I have Eco Earth and Reptibark already at my house, and I'm planning on getting a huge half log for the guy. Any other tips to make him cozy for the time being as we plan and build his tort table?

I probably will have a few more questions as I continue to research and prepare for an adult Russian, but any other first time tips would be greatly appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Being in Texas you should be making him a home outside. A minimum of a 4x8 foot but larger if possible. The humidity for an adult isn't as important for an adult but 30% is nice too have. Timothy hay most don't like because it's so hard and twiggy. If yours like to eat it then fine but Russians need broad leafy greens.

ashleyyandfriends

Houston, Texas
Being in Texas you should be making him a home outside. A minimum of a 4x8 foot but larger if possible. The humidity for an adult isn't as important for an adult but 30% is nice too have. Timothy hay most don't like because it's so hard and twiggy. If yours like to eat it then fine but Russians need broad leafy greens.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'll see what my husband and I can cook up for an outdoor enclosure! We have 3 dogs that are very curious, so, we'll take that into consideration when building an enclosure! I've already complied a list of seeds to purchase/places to go to get organic plants to feed until I can get a great lush garden going for the tort!

Thanks so much!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yes, the dogs can not have access to the tort, he will become their Chew toy, always a bad outcome for the tort eventually.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome to the forum!

I have a Russian, and I have found that he becomes extremely active when outside, so much so that he entirely uses his 208sqf outdoor enclosure. So definitely make the outdoor enclosure as large as you possibly can while keeping it safe from the dogs.

daniellenc

Maryland
And Russians are escape artists. Think of building an enclosure within an enclosure, lol seriously. It will need a secure top, be dug down into the ground and probably need some ground mesh to deter digging as well. Then you can build a retaining wall around it in case he gets out you have an additional buffer.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'll see what my husband and I can cook up for an outdoor enclosure! We have 3 dogs that are very curious, so, we'll take that into consideration when building an enclosure! I've already complied a list of seeds to purchase/places to go to get organic plants to feed until I can get a great lush garden going for the tort!

Thanks so much!!

We just did this one for our Russian. It is 4x8 and has a lid with welded wire to protect him from our dog. It will be easy to add on to it. We had to build it in three days so we did a rush job. Enjoy your new Russian! I recommend getting your info from here and steering clear of YouTube.

Attachments

• A2A68516-41C7-41E0-8B45-B3705AE1A34E.jpeg
    A2A68516-41C7-41E0-8B45-B3705AE1A34E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 4DBCD896-9AA9-4982-9A53-F18B24493413.jpeg
    4DBCD896-9AA9-4982-9A53-F18B24493413.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23

ashleyyandfriends

Houston, Texas
We just did this one for our Russian. It is 4x8 and has a lid with welded wire to protect him from our dog. It will be easy to add on to it. We had to build it in three days so we did a rush job. Enjoy your new Russian! I recommend getting your info from here and steering clear of YouTube.

OH MY GOODNESS! This is beautiful!!!! Thank you so much for this inspo!!