Preparing for my 1st sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Hi I am adopting a 50lb sulcata from a nearby rescue on saturday and I am trying to get everything together. I just finished building the indoor enclosure as its getting cold quickly outside.

- What should I feed him? I know i depends on how old they are as in the older ones like hay. How old approx would mine be?

- When people say hay do they mean like regular hay or what? What about weeds? What is considered an edible weed? What types of grasses are good for them? (thinking of growing some plants indoors for the winter)

- What kind of substrate to use? I think ive read/seen people using hay. I kinda like this idea as it seems easy to clean/replace and they can eat it.

- How high of walls can they climb? Mine will be 10-12inches.

-Where do i find the cactus plants people feed there sulcatas and is there prepacked and healthy food for them?

Thats about it. Please answer them all soon! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Man-o-man! This really stinks! I went through each of your points and answered you, then the stupid computer re-set the connection and my answer went into limbo. I'll try again:

1. You can buy any of the dark, leafy greens in the produce section: escarole, endive, turnip greens, dandelion, etc. Just don't get lazy and only feed one particular thing because they get keyed into, for instance, romaine to the exclusion of everything else.

2. Only the grass hays...timothy, orchard, bermuda, rye

3. I am a big fan of cypress mulch. You should be able to find it at Lowe's or places like that.

4. That isn't nearly tall enough. A 50lb tortoise can stand up taller than a foot and if he can see over, he'll climb right out.

5. There are several folks here on the forum who sell cactus pads, but as a moderator, I can't give you any names in case I inadvertently left someone out.

(copy/paste just in case...fingers crossed!!)

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Wow didnt think it could climb over a 12in wall. Well how tall should it be? Quick question HOW does it climb? can it really lift itself?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
18 inches + and you'll be fine...
As feed goes...do you have a lawn? Because a 50 pounder will feed mainly on whatever grass or weeds you're growing...at least 75% of his diet will be grass (use hay as an alternative only and yes! for cold weather). If it's that cold, hay is a GREAT substrate...and he can eat it too! There is a lady on ebay who sells spineless opuntia cactus...tell her Dean sent you and she'll give you a great deal...her username DORISVIOLA here's her link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-CACTUS-PADS-O...672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2e19520

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Just to give you some perspective - we recently adopted a 60lb Sulcata and had already built what we thought was a suitable wall consisting of cinderblocks stacked 2 high. Well Tex found a way to stretch and barely see over and apparently the grass was greener on that side because the next thing we knew he had knocked the top block over in two consecutive spaces and had climbed over and was chomping down on some munchage. So my darling husband quickly went over to Home Depot and bought enough cinderblock to make a third row. And we are considering adding rebar to give it added strength and also staggering the blocks. Sulcatas are so much stronger than the newbie thinks. But we love him so we'll do whatever it takes to make him happy and safe.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Wow this is great, thanks for all the help. I have decided to build and outdoor enclosure for the tort. Found some good used wood from a shed and barn. Hopefully itll be enough room. Until the snow hits he can go outside when he likes and get some grass and weeds.

As far the hay goes not sure what a grass hay is. Would hay like farmers put into bales be appropriate? Saw a deal for $3 a bale.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Grass hay like horses eat. You will find it at a feed store. Not all torts will eat it tho. They prefer to graze. So get him used to it, and hopfully he will eat it, or you will go broke feeding him this winter..
What will your heat source be?

borjawil

10 Year Member!
well that was my next step/question. I have two lamps. One has a ceramic heat bulb in it the other i need to get uv bulb for. Is there any recommendations as to what size/type to get? Is it ok to leave a colored bulb on over night? As in will they still sleep or will it irritate them? I was thinking of getting some pig blankets but the ones i found were 100+. Expensive. Any other heated matts or similar devices to keep the floors warm? (cheaper is good!)

I found hay listed as grass, alfalfa, clover mix- is that what the hay consists of or is that 3 different types of hay? Talked to the guy he said its good for horses. Is it good for torts?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes , the ones made for pigs are durable.
If you use a red or black light.. it wont bother the animal at night.
The CHE doesnt give off light.
If this is for the outdoor area.. his box will need to be heated.. and since you get snow, it would be nice to have a basking area outside his box so when he comes out he can get some fresh air, move around and still have a warm place. Look for a Heat Lamp used with livestock. Sometimes Walmart sell them. Red bulb and a lamp. it gets really hot, so dont hang too low. the shell will get burnt.. it should be hung in the outdor/covered area out of the den box.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...your tortoise should NOT have alfalfa. Try to find orchard grass hay, timothy hay, bermuda grass hay.

A tortoise first lifts himself up and grabs the top of the fence with his front feet. Then he uses his back feet to climb and push, pulling with his front feet. When he gets to the top, he just tumbles over and down.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
OK so when you say outdoor covered area you mean like a section/addition off the main enclosure that has walls but the roof is well above the walls so like windows for air flow? Or that section of the enclosure is supposed to be under some kind of roofing like a garage?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Look up Tuff sheds. Loafing shed.. there is a shed enclosed and then an outdoor coverd area with three sides.. this type of thing would be ideal to have outdoors In the entire enclosure area as shelter and protection. Especially if it snows..
It would need to be on slightly higher ground to avoid flooding..

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_photos.cfm?ModelID=SBLS&TabID=Photos
of course this could be done in a much smaller scale!
however like mentioned before.. the ceiling has to be high enough up as to not burn the tort if using a heat lamp.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
I see what you mean. Basically a lean to or open face shelter area. Would i heat that outdoor area as well? I will probbaly put screen/chicken wire over the open face to keep snow out better if it becomes a problem. Got some trees, garage and another house to bloc wind for the most part.
I've mapped out an area to build an enclosure. I could live in it if i wanted to. Its huge. Time to start building ill take pics as i go.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
heres a quick drawing i did in paint. the grey strip on the "porch" area is screen to keep snow out better but still let air in. a wall and maybe half the roof will fold up with hinges for cleaning and removing the tort. Roof will be peaked as well.

Attachments

• tort home.bmp
    450.1 KB · Views: 18

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I have been looking to get another heat mat and the cheapest place i found was herpsupplies.com.They have the kane heat mats for alot less than most.As for orchard grass, go to a local stable or horse barn and ask around.Someone will be willing to part with a bale.Great plans for your outdoor enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I went online to check out the Stansfield pig blankets and the price has just about doubled since the last time I bought one. I like the 1 1/2' x 2' pad and its now $105.

http://www.osborne-ind.com/petsub/heatpad/heat_pads2.htm

Then you have to also buy the controller. The F911 controller is much better than the F300, and, of course, its more expensive. But I bought the F300 before and its a piece of junk. It allows the pad to either get too hot or not hot enough, and very hard to get a good temp. I couldn't find a price on the controller, but its probably around $50.

http://www.osbornelivestockequipment.com/product_pages/shp/controls.php

borjawil

10 Year Member!
I found some heat mats for very cheap about $20 14'' x 21''. They are 90 watts. How hot would that get? Is it possible to put some sort of temp control on it just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.