Presenting my baby sulcata!!!

simiruco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
I made this post to present you guys my new baby sulcata his/her name is Chancla I just got her the Saturday 5 of April of 2014:
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4336.JPG
IMG_4337.JPG
Right now his/her enclousure is an exo terra 45x45x45:
IMG_4341.JPG
Here are the basic things she has in it:
IMG_4342.JPG
FOOD DISH
IMG_4344.JPG
WATER DISH
IMG_4343.JPG
PLACE TO HIDE (CAVE)
HOW I TAKE CARE OF HIM/HER[/code]:
- At night and when it is cold I use an exoterra infrared lamp of 75 watts
- I soak her/him 20 minutes everyday
- She/he usually eats lettuce, carrot and exoterra land turtle pellets(she eats more things but basically that is what she/he eats)
- I change his/her food for fresh each time that his/her actual food is dry
- he/she gets direct UVB when it is a sunny day (with shadow available) and indirect UVB (from a lamp) when it is cold or windy
OBSERVATIONS:
- She/he eats really good
- he/she has really good temperatura and humidity
- he/she likes his/her terrarium
- his/her Shell is REALLY soft but as I said she/he is already getting UVB

Thanks for Reading this, please comment any advice you have :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
[/b]What a cutie!! Enjoy! I will say the water dish you are using is considered, by most, a drowning hazard. They can flip themselves while trying to get in/out and drown. Terra cotta plant saucers are recommended. I have been using them since my sulcata was the size of yours and he has never had a problem getting in or out.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Very cute little one. Please read. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
Heat, humidity, and diet are really important to have right. Your diet needs more varriation. Lettus has no nutritional value and carrots should not be given very often. Good luck & read all you can on here

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Nicole said:
[/b]What a cutie!! Enjoy! I will say the water dish you are using is considered, by most, a drowning hazard. They can flip themselves while trying to get in/out and drown. Terra cotta plant saucers are recommended. I have been using them since my sulcata was the size of yours and he has never had a problem getting in or out.
Ok thanks for telling me I will put less water on the one I have and I will change it as soon as I can (this weekend I think) :)

Ok lismar I will read it and modifie my diet

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Chancla as in la chancla?
Duck, flying flip flop!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you got some reading and changes to do. This forum is a great place to learn and share. Good to have you here and welcome again.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I thought chancla was a sandal or house slipper. And in Texas, in the Hispanic and Mexican community la chancla is your mama's flying sandal. lol. Used to get a persons attention or redirection undesirable behavior.
Maybe it's slang?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

I remember as a kid my friends mom throwing her shoe at her kids, narrowly missing me when they did something that she didn't like lol.
Usually a flying shoe broke up a sibling fight lol.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Ok now I have a problem... the truth is that before getting my sulcata NO ONE told me that they eat grass, and I dont have grass in my house, I will plant grass in large pots I have but...
What can I give her until I get some grass???