Pressable lower plastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hello everybody,

While I am smoothly brushing up my tortoise during bathing, I notice a particularly well-define line (compared to other) and upon minimal pressure, I found that it is compressible.

Is it normal? I don't repeat applying the pressure even for double checking because I afraid I might hurt my little fella.

Please kindly assist me in clarifying this issue.

B87l2Ip.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that really is different. It's not normal, however, I don't know if its bad. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Wow, that really is different. It's not normal, however, I don't know if its bad. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Thank you for your wish, wellington. I do hope its nothing though :\

WillTort2

5 Year Member
That is very curious. Do either of the parents show this type of shell pattern?

clucey

5 Year Member
What a trip. Its like its own little compartment, keep us posted.....hooe its not harmful

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Hybrid

5 Year Member
WillTortoise said:
That is very curious. Do either of the parents show this type of shell pattern?

Didn't have a chance to met his parent :p

p/s : My tortoise is male, yes?

clucey said:
What a trip. Its like its own little compartment, keep us posted.....hooe its not harmful

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Not harmful for sure. Again during bath today, I try to sweep and press with very minimal pressure, and no quick reflex (such as shown during painful stimulation applied) was present.

He don't have any problem with walking, and never fall from high, so we can eliminate the potential cause from trauma already.

Any senior forumer can kindly assist me on this issue? Its not one of the metabolic bone diseases isn't?

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Someone will correct me I'm sure but isn't the lower part of a greek moveable like this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an Egyptian tortoise, right? It is not supposed to move. Are you giving the tortoise plenty of calcium-rich foods and does he get outside time in the sun for vitamin d3? Calcium doesn't work without the sun or an expensive UVB light.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
This is an Egyptian tortoise, right? It is not supposed to move. Are you giving the tortoise plenty of calcium-rich foods and does he get outside time in the sun for vitamin d3? Calcium doesn't work without the sun or an expensive UVB light.

Yes, this is an Egyptian tortoise.

I don't think UVB or D3 is the culprit, the shell is not severely pyramiding to cause this issue.

But please do correct me if my logic is wrong.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Yes your tortoise looks male to me. Not all species are prone to pyramids. If your tortoise is getting a regular dose of natural sunlight (minimum of 2x a week) it should not be vit D3 deficient. If it is getting calcium rich foods and or supplimentation AND natural sunlight it should not have a calcium deficiency or calcium uptake issue. You do however have an issue clearly. This species does not have a hinged plastron and yet that is precisely what it looks like in the pictures. There must be some reason for this shell problem. Check Everything you are doing. Twice. Lighting, temperatures, humidity, diet, exercise, enclosure... everything. Then post your findings.

elfelf83

5 Year Member
When you say move do you mean the whole hind plastron you have squared off moved? Egyptians have a moveable hind plastron. Totally normal and the line your worried about is simply the hinge for this I think. Check out www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/caresheets/egyptian and also google understanding the chelonian shell, should bring up a good page that will explain what I mean much better than I can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... and pyramiding has nothing to do with calcium and D3. A tortoise can have great levels of calcium, D3, get lots of sunshine and still pyramid, and they can be calcium and D3 deficient and not pyramid.

The question was: Does your tortoise have a calcium rich diet and get regular sunshine?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My question about calcium and vitamin D3 either from the sun or from an expensive UVB light was because calcium makes the shells and bones grow strong. You say there is no possibility of an injury, then the next thing to thing about is a weak shell from not enough calcium or sunshine.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
elfelf83 said:
When you say move do you mean the whole hind plastron you have squared off moved? Egyptians have a moveable hind plastron. Totally normal and the line your worried about is simply the hinge for this I think. Check out www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/caresheets/egyptian and also google understanding the chelonian shell, should bring up a good page that will explain what I mean much better than I can.

Dang. I think you just hit the jackpot.

Based on the article, and my tortoise's respond, I don't think its pathological.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hybrid said:
Hello everybody,

While I am smoothly brushing up my tortoise during bathing, I notice a particularly well-define line (compared to other) and upon minimal pressure, I found that it is compressible.

Is it normal? I don't repeat applying the pressure even for double checking because I afraid I might hurt my little fella.

Please kindly assist me in clarifying this issue.

This is normal in Egyptian and Greek tortoises, who naturally have a posterior plastral hinge. Different forms of shell mobility are found in hingebacks, spider tortoises, box turtles, pond turtles, and mud turtles. :)

See: http://home.earthlink.net/~fridjian/id9.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad you posted that link, Gaddy. I did a GOOGLE search before I posted that the plastron shouldn't move, but didn't come up with any clear information. This is good to know.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Yes your tortoise looks male to me. Not all species are prone to pyramids. If your tortoise is getting a regular dose of natural sunlight (minimum of 2x a week) it should not be vit D3 deficient. If it is getting calcium rich foods and or supplimentation AND natural sunlight it should not have a calcium deficiency or calcium uptake issue. You do however have an issue clearly. This species does not have a hinged plastron and yet that is precisely what it looks like in the pictures. There must be some reason for this shell problem. Check Everything you are doing. Twice. Lighting, temperatures, humidity, diet, exercise, enclosure... everything. Then post your findings.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will double check everything and share the findings soon here.

Tom said:
... and pyramiding has nothing to do with calcium and D3. A tortoise can have great levels of calcium, D3, get lots of sunshine and still pyramid, and they can be calcium and D3 deficient and not pyramid.

The question was: Does your tortoise have a calcium rich diet and get regular sunshine?
I do provide a sufficient calcium supplement within their diet.

Regarding sunshine... maybe inconsistent exposure, but only recent approximately 2 weeks since my UVB bulb broken down.

Yvonne G said:
My question about calcium and vitamin D3 either from the sun or from an expensive UVB light was because calcium makes the shells and bones grow strong. You say there is no possibility of an injury, then the next thing to thing about is a weak shell from not enough calcium or sunshine.

I will provide more consistent sunshine and see the progress within 2 weeks to one month.

For sunshine basking, any time will do or do we have specific time to maximize the UV exposure?

GeoTerraTestudo said:
This is normal in Egyptian and Greek tortoises, who naturally have a posterior plastral hinge. Different forms of shell mobility are found in hingebacks, spider tortoises, box turtles, pond turtles, and mud turtles. :)

See: http://home.earthlink.net/~fridjian/id9.html
Thank you very much, sifu (a calling among Asian toward a respectable person with rich of knowledge! :D )

Yvonne G said:
I'm so glad you posted that link, Gaddy. I did a GOOGLE search before I posted that the plastron shouldn't move, but didn't come up with any clear information. This is good to know.

Yes, I did quite an extensive research in Egyptian tortoise, but only website that Gaddy posted is the only one mentioned regarding this issue.

Glad to know we learn something new today!

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Really? The link I posted mentions it... and the item I said to search goes into it in detail about hingebacks etc why they have them why plastrons are hindged etc, give it a read. Really interesting if you don't already know it. But as others and myself have now said it is normal. Glad your mind is now at ease.

fitz12

5 Year Member
My Greek has the same "problem" this post helped a lot. Love this forum

1.0 greek tortoise
1.3 sugar gliders
0.1 Bassett hound
1.1 parakeet
0.3 chickens
1.0 cat

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member