Pressure Treated Wood - Yes or No

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
I finally tore down spikes old winter digs, and he is getting a major upgrade. untreated plywood for the floor was fine in the passed cause I would just rip it out and put new down whenever necessary, but this thing is going to have insulated floor, and the walls will be framed up ontop of the floor and its big!), so I'm not really going to be in a position to do that anymore. I've been reading through threads but got tired of doing so, so is pressure treated plywood for the floor portion he will be in contact with safe?
Thanks,
-Dan-

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
I don't know....that's the question :). If there is pressure treated plywood that is safe then I will buy that and make this quick, but if not then I'll just get normal plywood and apply a ton of layers of the nontoxic wood sealer, and just reseal it every few years (which I would prefer to not have to do).
Thanks,
-Dan-

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Googled it and it doesn't sound good ! :(

What is the chemical preservative used, and is it dangerous?
Until 2003, the preservative most commonly used in residential pressure-treated lumber was chromated copper arsenate (CCA), an extremely toxic chemical. Remember "Arsenic and Old Lace"? How about that old box of rat poison you have lurking in the garage? CCA is so toxic that the Environmental Protection Agency, over 20 years ago, imposed strict guidelines regarding the manufacturing practices of companies using CCA.
However, one must distinguish between the toxicity of the chemical and the toxicity of the wood product in everyday use. Extensive studies were done since the mid 1980's concerning the potential dangers of pressure-treated wood, and rightfully so! Large volumes of CCA were being used, and the treated wood products were beginning to be widely distributed, justifying the need for some hard research.
The research was mixed, but the typical hysteria ensued as attorneys and plaintiffs lined up to claim damages from exposure to CCA. In the end, the industry agreed to voluntarily eliminate use of CCA for residential use. CCA is still being used in certain marine and industrial applications since it is still the best preservative available at the present time

Here is the link if you want to check it out ! http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
Well right....I did that too, but they changed the chemicals they are using now, and I was reading a few different spots that said it was safe now. Was just looking for a definitive yes or no on the treated stuff they are popping out these days. I'll just use normal plywood, and seal it. Thanks for the help,
-Dan-

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that railroad ties that have been treated with creosote are a no no. The creosote leaches out into the surrounding soil. But the green stuff they pressure treat poles, etc. with, I really doubt that stuff would leach out. The only way it would impact your turtle is if he tried to eat the wood.

But, I'm not a scientist. This is just my common sense GUESSING on this answer.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use pressure treated lumber for my enclosures, but not really on the floor. Can we see a pic of where you'd be using it?

Also, I've never seen pressure treated plywood. Only "marine" plywood.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Also, I've never seen pressure treated plywood. Only "marine" plywood.
So of all the fun things I've done in my life, I spent close to 10 years working in a "treating" mill. Marine grade plywood is basically pressure treated plywood. Same chemicals are used to treat it. It lacks the "slots" cut in it that treated lumber has based on the structure of the material used to manufacture plywood, (thin sheet layers that absorb easily compared to a solid piece of wood needing the penetration slots).
Also, my understanding of the original posting was that this was to be the full floor of the outdoor house. Maybe not. If that is the case, I would use regular plywood, seal it well and put a layer of linoleum down with "kidsafe" glue. Sealed well all around the edges with silicone.

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
I understand a lot of people have used linoleum on the floors of their tortoise tables and what not, though I have heard of very few that have used it long term. I have a hard time believing that that slick of a surface isn't going to result in joint issues down the road. Does anyone have experience using it long term?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have been thinking about this , and I wonder if the stuff used in the pressure treatment is any better or worse than the glue used to hold the layers of wood together ? o_O

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I understand a lot of people have used linoleum on the floors of their tortoise tables and what not, though I have heard of very few that have used it long term. I have a hard time believing that that slick of a surface isn't going to result in joint issues down the road. Does anyone have experience using it long term?

I've had it on my tort's house floor for 3 years, no problems. Long term...maybe not. But I love it so far. I used basic plywood and the flooring with caulked edges keeps it damage free.
I also have some substrate on the floor so "slickness" hasn't ever been an issue.

Ignacio

I had used it for my niece's pets with no problems as long as not ingested. Inside I'd say its ok based on pass experiences but outdoors I'd say no if it is going to get wet.

Also most of the info i got from google was way outdated, 2003 was a LONG time ago I would not stress myself with information about wood sold 13+ years ago, you will not find that wood in any home depot or lowes now days.

I am not telling you to go ahead and use it since I didn't use it for a tort but i did used it to build a couple big cages for my niece's birds last year, the finches and doves had no problems but we lost 3 of the parakeets, we think they ate some plywood pieces since parakeets are quite destructive and ended up buying a metal cage from CL for them, the other birds still doing great.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
The only reason to pressure-treat wood is to prevent rot &/or termites. So borates & arsenates are the most-common treatments, none of which are good for any animal, let alone a tortoise that can't get away from it. I'm a chemical engineer, & wouldn't want to live with wood that has been pressure treated, even if it's well-sealed.

Ken