Pretend Chat 2.14

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I am miserably sick, but I wanted to check in and show you what Mango did. Expensive little bass-turd. No idea what we are going to do about it yet. Its just wrapped. View attachment 220741
poor thing! The way I understand it, she didn't do it to herself, somebody very heavy stepped on her. They don't actually set bones on a tortoise, do they?

I'm sorry you're sick. Get better soon!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My theory is that Vern (13lbs) likely fell on him while trying to climb something. Mango is only 5lbs. That's all i can guess. He's a very active tort and he's not amused.
Currently its bandaged up in his shell.
1010171815b.jpg1004171743c.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My theory is that Vern (13lbs) likely fell on him while trying to climb something. Mango is only 5lbs. That's all i can guess. He's a very active tort and he's not amused.
Currently its bandaged up in his shell.
View attachment 220752View attachment 220753

Poor BABY!!!!! Why wouldn’t they set the bones in tortoise??? I don’t know anything about the subject of tort traumatic injuries but setting/immobilizing broken/displaced bones would make more sense... at least that’s what I think. I am soooo sorry for the poor Mango and for you to have to go through this

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Our experience so far is that you just CAN'T pull the leg out of the shell to splint it into a natural position to heal straight. Try pulling your tortoises rear leg out of it's shell....they did it under sedation and as soon as he had his wits about him it slipped right off.

Surgically pinning it may be an option, but I am literally down to my last dollar this month (not his fault entirely, I have a whole other nasty can of worms plaguing me) and my vet isn't super experienced with tortoises so I'm not sure I want to let him experiment on him so I'd have to find a different surgeon.

One of my rescue friends is adamant that it needs to be amputated, but again, $$$.

Currently I'm waiting for word from a couple of consults to see what is recommended, but from what I've heard so far from a couple contacts is that immobilizing it and hoping it scars together will likely leave him slightly crooked but functional.

I put pics of the wrap job up over here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/broken-leg-experiences-treatments.161178/#post-1536630

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These last few months have been the pits for my dogs. First, Raine, who was the second oldest at 17-19 years of age died. Then my bestest friend, Balarney died at about 20 years. The third oldest, Mister, had a stroke, but except for walking difficulties is doing ok. He is around 14. Today it was my coonhound, Theo who died. He was only about 11 years old.

That's terrible, Jacqui. I know how much this hurts, and I feel for you.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
These last few months have been the pits for my dogs. First, Raine, who was the second oldest at 17-19 years of age died. Then my bestest friend, Balarney died at about 20 years. The third oldest, Mister, had a stroke, but except for walking difficulties is doing ok. He is around 14. Today it was my coonhound, Theo who died. He was only about 11 years old.

Hugs to you Jacqui! That is just to much to handle in such a short time.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another super windy day, which appeared to be ready to pour rain for most of it. Though it was earlier then usual, I decided to take advantage of Jeff stopping by for his meds, and had him help me bring in my four big guys (sulcatas). Now everybody but three water turtles are in their winter quarters.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Jacqui, I can’t even pause live tv right now then restart jumping through the commercials after going to the, um, washing my hands place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another super windy day, which appeared to be ready to pour rain for most of it. Though it was earlier then usual, I decided to take advantage of Jeff stopping by for his meds, and had him help me bring in my four big guys (sulcatas). Now everybody but three water turtles are in their winter quarters.
I HATE THE WIND!!!!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took in this big boy yesterday. It always amazes me that brand new to my yard tortoises understand the vinyl strip door and go right into the shelter at night. Also, another real smooth sulcata. I guess we're finally getting the hang of it.

2017 Rescue #59 a.jpg 2017 Rescue #59 b.jpg 2017 Rescue #59 c.jpg 2017 Rescue #59 d.jpg 2017 Rescue #59 e.jpg

I didn't weigh him, but he's about 100lbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the phone company goes out of business and I no longer received my pension, and if Social Security goes bottoms up, I'll still be able to eat. My cats always leave me their kill - right at the door step so I'm sure to see it. This a.m. there was a freshly killed mouse with only a bite taken out of the stomach. I probably wouldn't have eaten that part anyway, so it was nice of the cat to leave me the parts that I may have eaten. But, since I already had my breakfast, I picked up the mouse by the tail and was going to fling it onto the roof of the old house. But I let go too soon and it sailed onto the porch, through the doorway instead. Spencer was sitting there watching this whole thing and when the mouse landed on the porch, she was nice enough to go get it and bring it back to me.