Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yesterday someone brought me a pretty three toe box turtle female. It looks like a car had just barely clipped the side of her shell - there are some scuff marks and a tiny bit of a crack under her armpit. The worst part is her back foot. It's swollen, some of the nails are gone and it's scabby. After I soak her I'm going to try to do a little picking at it to see if there's pus under the scabs.

Then I have two florida box turtles with swollen eyes. So I have to set them up in hospital tanks too. I think their habitat is too shady. With this on again off again warm weather/cold weather it's hard for them to warm up if their enclosure has no sun spots.

I'm also working on a rescued female russian with a respiratory infection.

Will it never end?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yesterday someone brought me a pretty three toe box turtle female. It looks like a car had just barely clipped the side of her shell - there are some scuff marks and a tiny bit of a crack under her armpit. The worst part is her back foot. It's swollen, some of the nails are gone and it's scabby. After I soak her I'm going to try to do a little picking at it to see if there's pus under the scabs.

Then I have two florida box turtles with swollen eyes. So I have to set them up in hospital tanks too. I think their habitat is too shady. With this on again off again warm weather/cold weather it's hard for them to warm up if their enclosure has no sun spots.

I'm also working on a rescued female russian with a respiratory infection.

Will it never end?
Aiyeee. How do you cope all the time having to care for sick torts. I didn't realise how many sick little ones you have to look after. I just thought that they were torts that people didn't want and or found on the side of the road. No wonder you are so good at looking after them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aiyeee. How do you cope all the time having to care for sick torts. I didn't realise how many sick little ones you have to look after. I just thought that they were torts that people didn't want and or found on the side of the road. No wonder you are so good at looking after them.
It's time consuming and sometimes I wish it would all go away.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Rocket has been coughing and hacking for a few days so we went to a new vet this morning. Of course he never even sniffled while there, but they checked him out and I even had them do a heart worm test. Nothing serious found and the heart test was negative. got some pills to help clear up the coughing. What really surprised me was the cost, The total bill was less than $70. I had to drive 30 miles (but down here thats a hop, skip and a short jump) I've used the 2 vets closer but you can't walk in the door for less than $70. The good thing is Rocket should be OK.

daniellenc

Maryland
Rocket has been coughing and hacking for a few days so we went to a new vet this morning. Of course he never even sniffled while there, but they checked him out and I even had them do a heart worm test. Nothing serious found and the heart test was negative. got some pills to help clear up the coughing. What really surprised me was the cost, The total bill was less than $70. I had to drive 30 miles (but down here thats a hop, skip and a short jump) I've used the 2 vets closer but you can't walk in the door for less than $70. The good thing is Rocket should be OK.
What vet is this I can’t walk out of mine for under $200.

Len B

10 Year Member!
What vet is this I can’t walk out of mine for under $200.
Warsaw Animal Clinic, about 30 miles south of me For years when I had up to 7 dogs and 4 cats I used vets that made home visits. It was costly but very convenient. The first one only charged for one visit and would care for all that needed treatment. She moved out of state. The other one charges for each individual with a separate visit charge.This new one you don't need to make an appointment, just walk in any time between 7am and noon with the animal and they take you back quickly and don't charge an arm and a leg for the services.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe he just had a piece of grass stuck in his throat. Glad it turned out ok.

View attachment 242439
View attachment 242440
Love finding these guys. Always a good day.
Oh the story he could tell!!!

Warsaw Animal Clinic, about 30 miles south of me For years when I had up to 7 dogs and 4 cats I used vets that made home visits. It was costly but very convenient. The first one only charged for one visit and would care for all that needed treatment. She moved out of state. The other one charges for each individual with a separate visit charge.This new one you don't need to make an appointment, just walk in any time between 7am and noon with the animal and they take you back quickly and don't charge an arm and a leg for the services.
My vet hasn't yet resorted to appointments either. Trouble is he's only dogs and cats. He also never wants to do brain surgery for a hang nail. He WILL do the more expensive stuff, but always give you the choice to make the decision.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Maybe he just had a piece of grass stuck in his throat. Glad it turned out ok.

Oh the story he could tell!!!

My vet hasn't yet resorted to appointments either. Trouble is he's only dogs and cats. He also never wants to do brain surgery for a hang nail. He WILL do the more expensive stuff, but always give you the choice to make the decision.
These vets do dogs and cats only also. Rocket and Seven are both special in their own ways. I was cooking some steaks on the grill a bit ago and Rocket brought me a hatchling box turtle unharmed in his mouth. He has never done that before he would alert me to where one is and wait for me to get it. i think it was a bribe for some of the steak he could smell cooking.

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
What happened to the shell?

There’s no telling I found her in the middle of the street so car, dog, who knows but it’s obviously an old wound. But she was heavy and very spunky. When I got her to a safe spot she hauled carapace when I put her out.
IMG_3628.jpg
Plastron was slightly concave but little tail. I assumed female. Let me know what you guys think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These vets do dogs and cats only also. Rocket and Seven are both special in their own ways. I was cooking some steaks on the grill a bit ago and Rocket brought me a hatchling box turtle unharmed in his mouth. He has never done that before he would alert me to where one is and wait for me to get it. i think it was a bribe for some of the steak he could smell cooking.
LOL! Misty brings me stuff to trade for food too. It's an endearing quality. Makes you realize just how smart they are.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I would have given him the whole steak.