Pretend Chat 2.14

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I'm also freaking out because my advisor really messed me up and told me to take all these classes, and then when I get into the nitty gritty stuff some things are only offered during certain semesters and they are at the same time as other things so now I might not graduate in 4 years even though I've been taking more than enough classes each semester to do so -_-
What degree are you going for? Our nursing students run into that all the time and if you get less than a B in a class you have to repeat it and all the other classes are messed up, that is basically a 5 year program at this point.
I actually ran into that problem when I tried to take up an art Major as well last spring, theres a series of 3 core classes you have to take, and you can't take 2 at once because each level requires you have already taken the previous one... and the first in ONLY offered in the fall and the next only Offered in the spring and then the final one (thesis) is also only offered in spring. I can honestly say the only way I managed to be graduating on time (well could have in Dec. actually) is because I took 6 classes instead of 5 half of my semesters... in fact I took 7 last semester, 21 credits, I had to sign a special paper saying I knew what I was getting into.... I just got my deans list certificate from that semester in the mail :) I'm a smart cookie

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Good morning! Kids are off to school and I'm going to workout even though every part of my body hurts and I have a 4 hour field trip with 3rd graders. I will have to catch up later if I can keep my eyes open to read this afternoon.
@smarch your painting is beautiful and I'm glad you had a nice time!

Have a nice day everyone!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Good morning! Kids are off to school and I'm going to workout even though every part of my body hurts and I have a 4 hour field trip with 3rd graders. I will have to catch up later if I can keep my eyes open to read this afternoon.
@smarch your painting is beautiful and I'm glad you had a nice time!

Have a nice day everyone!
Thank you :)
and is the field trip at least somewhere fun? I'd take field trips to our boston science museum any day of the week! even if it meant chasing kids around and keeping them in line.
Sleep does sound good right now too! I was at the school at paint nite until 10, so I got home after when i'm usually in bed, then I couldn't relax to sleep until at least midnight.
Have fun!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
What degree are you going for? Our nursing students run into that all the time and if you get less than a B in a class you have to repeat it and all the other classes are messed up, that is basically a 5 year program at this point.
I actually ran into that problem when I tried to take up an art Major as well last spring, theres a series of 3 core classes you have to take, and you can't take 2 at once because each level requires you have already taken the previous one... and the first in ONLY offered in the fall and the next only Offered in the spring and then the final one (thesis) is also only offered in spring. I can honestly say the only way I managed to be graduating on time (well could have in Dec. actually) is because I took 6 classes instead of 5 half of my semesters... in fact I took 7 last semester, 21 credits, I had to sign a special paper saying I knew what I was getting into.... I just got my deans list certificate from that semester in the mail :) I'm a smart cookie
The degree is called "Fisheries and Wildlife" but within the degree are about 20 different "options" that are all so different that I really think they need to split them up into different degrees. So technically, my major is "Fisheries and WIldlife, with a focus in Wildlife Ecology and Management"... I just tell people Wildlife Ecology and Management, or else the inevitable "YOU WANT TO WORK WITH FISH!?" question is always asked.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The degree is called "Fisheries and Wildlife" but within the degree are about 20 different "options" that are all so different that I really think they need to split them up into different degrees. So technically, my major is "Fisheries and WIldlife, with a focus in Wildlife Ecology and Management"... I just tell people Wildlife Ecology and Management, or else the inevitable "YOU WANT TO WORK WITH FISH!?" question is always asked.
depending on the size of school you go to the concentration in a big general degree is what makes sense. We have a VPA major: Visual and performing arts... all lumped together, then you concentrate in either art theater or music, but those are things that should be spate if anything. Most people at my school just say their concentration if they have one... I was told it was too much effort to declare one so I didn't and just went for a general communications degree.

Sounds like an interesting degree, we have nothing like that at my school

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
depending on the size of school you go to the concentration in a big general degree is what makes sense. We have a VPA major: Visual and performing arts... all lumped together, then you concentrate in either art theater or music, but those are things that should be spate if anything. Most people at my school just say their concentration if they have one... I was told it was too much effort to declare one so I didn't and just went for a general communications degree.

Sounds like an interesting degree, we have nothing like that at my school

It's not offered at most schools, I have to commute an hour just for the degree :p The school I go to has one of the biggest agricultural programs in the country, well, because we are smack dab in the middle of agriculture. The natural sciences are lumped in with the agriculture college, so most people here are more focused on things like how wildlife effects livestock, hunting management, etc. And we also have one of the biggest, "best" zoos in the country less than a mile from my house so a LOT of people go to be zookeepers :p

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
So Court, you want to work with fish?
I actually love fish and took an Ichthyology class, wouldn't mind working with fish a little, haha... don't know if I could spend my entire life working with them though. My ichthyology professor had such a passion for minnows that he actually made me appreciate them a lot more than I thought I ever would. He's dedicated his life to studying two or three different species of endangered minnow up in Northern Nebraska

Heather H

N.E. ohio
and my table was of 3 people who came alone, so we were "friends for the night" rather than having the pictures they went around and took while painting being of us alone.

Best part is the night was only $5 because it was school sponsored! And I got a code for $20 off another one in the city if I want (which shows how expensive the nights can be) And since I'm 21 I can actually go to it with my cousin again and actually sip some wine while painting. Funny that the place with the slogan "Drink creatively" came to our dry campus lol
love the picture. I hope you talked a bit to the people at your table :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
ok how my day started. Went to take a shower, no water, went to call the water company no home phone. They have the street all dug up. grrrr. Called the boys dad on my cell phone , dropped my phone and busted my case. but he said he will take us out for dinner so that is good. :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I actually love fish and took an Ichthyology class, wouldn't mind working with fish a little, haha... don't know if I could spend my entire life working with them though. My ichthyology professor had such a passion for minnows that he actually made me appreciate them a lot more than I thought I ever would. He's dedicated his life to studying two or three different species of endangered minnow up in Northern Nebraska
My man-friend studies marine bio and basically majors in killing fish with diseases out there to try to prevent them in the wild population... its so sad... but at the same time he's like an expert at aquarium keeping... just a shame its not fun to him to keep a fish at home because its just more work to him.