Pretend Chat 2.14

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
to make hay do i just put grass in the sun?
Hay isn't really as easy as you'd think, I've lived on a small farm my whole life and we bale a field in my yard too.
I don't even know if its possible to make hay out of shorter grasses because they're not really thick so they more or less wilt instead of drying out.
So you have to let grass grow until its longer, and it has to be a good stretch of like a week of sun, put it into a pile that's not large, because then it'll never dry, but if you don't gather it then later steps would be frustratingly difficult, a row is the best way, ever raked a pile of leaves? Know how you go through the yard in a line then gather up the leaved to a pile? Kind of like that but not making the big pile.
Then every day flip or fluff up the grass, so that the stuff on the bottom and inside that wasn't in the sun gets chance to dry. When all of it is dry then you're done. All that depends on how hot and humid it is. And you want to avoid rainy weather when you're trying to dry it or else it could mold.

That was kind of a really long explanation for something I've always taken for granted. Then again we have tractors, there's the cutter, rake, tedderer (no Idea how thats spelled.. basically the fluffer) then the baler.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
He's lucky, it is not usually a good thing to be born a male in that species. You would usually end up being hamburger.
veal is more like it, often they don't let bulls grow up... I know on our farm bulls don't stick around long, I don't know if we sell them away or get the meat, but I know they can't control them after so long and on a small farm a lot could go wrong with aggression very fast

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You ever think of how we clean water tanks? This guy is 150 feet in the air .

1425394796654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Getting ready for bed but I watched that Kamp Kenan episode that was posted in another thread and it bugged the crap out of me that he takes all those steps to keep those leopards so dry. Even a dehumidifier? What the?
There was a point in my keeping Nank, when I was more care smart than I should have been to be coming up with such stupid thoughts, but I was convinced because the dial hydrometer I had said his water dish side of the enclosure was "tropical" that I needed a dehumidifier...now in his new enclosure with a digital thermometer/hydrometer I have to keep adding water to end up in the 50-60% range I want... Even still I'm stuck around 30.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Who needs sleep when you have energy drinks?
Once I drank 3 energy drinks and had caffeine gum in one day because I was pulling an all nighter playing laser tag and hanging in an a small arcade with a boy scout troop. That was my Junior year of high school, and I learned that first off laser tag and arcade games get really old after about 3 hours, but also that you can get a hangover from caffeine and its absolutely miserable!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Good morning. Now I have two middle schoolers at home sick. :(
Poor kids catching all the gross kid bugs.

Not good they miss so much school work too. Hope they feel better soon!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello, it is a combination of my first and last name but I never said how :) I know how people with an amputated arm or leg can be more comfortable. I'm not sure about eyes. It's not really uncomfortable now, it itches and it feels like there's something in there which I guess technically there is, but no real pain anymore. and there shouldn't be pain after it's all healed up.
Itchy means healing... in my opinion the itchiness is worse than the actual pain in same cases... then again my only "real" experience minus tons of scabs are piercings. But I always knew it was good news when it got itchy, the worst was over and its most likely out in the clear for infection.

That must be awful itching! I mean you cant just scratch it... not that you should but i'm kind of horrible at letting things be and heal

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
i dont know if its just me but i really don't like breeding for a specific color or trait in a species, when that time and money could be used for breeding endangered species.
And it can completely change the entire species in given time. I saw an article once comparing common purebreds and what they looked like 100 years (I think it was 100) ago versus now because of all the breeding for "favorable" show traits, the boxer was perhaps one of the most noticeable, their face got so smushed! And German Shepherds got a lot less Bad*ss and aren't nearly as athletically capable as they used to be.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If I see one more post on Facebook from the reptile pages I follow about how "cool" scaleless ball pythons are... I might throw something...

I am a Border Collie owner and lover... don't even get me started on the dogs because they've only been AKC recognized for 20 years and they've already destroyed the breed. Thankfully the actual breed clubs are doing everything in their power to make sure the AKC can't ruin every serious line -_-

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If I see one more post on Facebook from the reptile pages I follow about how "cool" scaleless ball pythons are... I might throw something...

I am a Border Collie owner and lover... don't even get me started on the dogs because they've only been AKC recognized for 20 years and they've already destroyed the breed. Thankfully the actual breed clubs are doing everything in their power to make sure the AKC can't ruin every serious line -_-
I feel bad for the breeds its too late for, like Dalmatians :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I feel bad for the breeds its too late for, like Dalmatians :(
Border Collies are getting there. AKC registered is a JOKE among working breeders. It's especially amusing when people boast about how well their AKC bred Border Collies do at AKC herding trials :p Any well trained dog, regardless of herding ability, could do well in those trials. Heck, I could probably train my cat to "herd" in AKC events!