Pretend Chat 2.14

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Last seen in MAY 2021
Has anyone sent a PM?
I haven't sent one but she got sent a card last year 🎄 hopefully I'll do it all again this year.🤗 I'm pretty sure the post office forwards it if she moved 😁🐢

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The nights here are getting cooler, but the days are still up in the 80's - quite comfortable! But I'm having to fill the cats' dishes more frequently. I figured the cooler nights had them trying to plump up for winter.

So last night I took Misty out for her nightly ablutions and opposite my kitchen door that leads to the back yard is the carport, blocked off by lattice. On the other side of the lattice is a shelf where I have a cat food dish. This was what I saw on the other side of the lattice:

oppossum 10-24-22.jpg

If you look closely you'll see there are two of them eating my cat food!

Every night when I take Misty out she runs through the door growling and barking to the fence in the back yard. I took that to mean there had been an oppossum in the back yard that made it to the fence by the skin of its teeth. But TWO of them? Sheesh! No wonder I'm going through dry cat food so fast. I see no reason why my well fed cats need food overnight. For a few nights I guess I'll have to put the food away and make the possums go someplace else for their dinner.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many of you know that the City is widening the street in front of my house and I had to move several species of tortoise due to their fences coming down. So after laying unoccupied for over a year and now I'm getting ready for another winter I decided to take the pig blanket out of the old leopard area, sanitize it and use it someplace else. I hadn't cleaned out their shed, being the lazy person that I am. And when I picked up the pig blanket (which is mounted on 2x4 which puts it above the ground a bit) YIPES!!! this is what was under it:

snake skin.jpg

I'm SO grateful it was only an empty skin. I REALLY don't like snakes. I mean REALLY!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I never met the creature in my shed when it was a real, live creature.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Many of you know that the City is widening the street in front of my house and I had to move several species of tortoise due to their fences coming down. So after laying unoccupied for over a year and now I'm getting ready for another winter I decided to take the pig blanket out of the old leopard area, sanitize it and use it someplace else. I hadn't cleaned out their shed, being the lazy person that I am. And when I picked up the pig blanket (which is mounted on 2x4 which puts it above the ground a bit) YIPES!!! this is what was under it:

View attachment 351075

I'm SO grateful it was only an empty skin. I REALLY don't like snakes. I mean REALLY!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I never met the creature in my shed when it was a real, live creature.
Yep, HAD been there, but has moved on . . thankfully

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone at CDR and hope you are all fine.

Has anyone hear from @Lyn W . I have not heard from her from quite long. If anyone has, please let me know. Many thanks.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi Gillian, I noticed she hasn't been in the CDR either.
We know she was having electrical problems at her house after storm damage & was having trouble hiring help to do the repairs, so maybe she's just been off the electrical grid & everything is OK but no access to charge her laptop or get online. Fingers crossed!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We know she was having electrical problems at her house after storm damage & was having trouble hiring help to do the repairs, so maybe she's just been off the electrical grid & everything is OK but no access to charge her laptop or get online. Fingers crossed!!
Thanks very much your reply.

Let's hope all is well.

LJL1982

UK
I spoke to her in September when we were talking about Vets based in South Wales...but nothing since...

LJL1982

UK
View attachment 352095
It is a heat mat that they use for pigs and other smaller livestock. Also used for tortoises because they are so heavy-duty.
I've never come across them, only the light duty reptile ones. Pigs and chickens here tend to get IR lights...I've never seen mats but I guess maybe! Thanks I like learning new things :)

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I've never come across them, only the light duty reptile ones. Pigs and chickens here tend to get IR lights...I've never seen mats but I guess maybe! Thanks I like learning new things :)
They are great as they warm, with out the chance that they could catch fire like a heat lamp, if it were to fall.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They work well and are very heavy duty. You can't roll, fold or bend them.