Prickly Pear

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
There are a couple of other posts in this section about this too that you could read. I personally take tweezers and pull out all the stickers. Some stores will take out the bigger stickers and leave the small ones. For a star I would definetly pull out all of them or cut the skin off. It's kinda time consuming but better safe then sorry. My Leopard is large enough to eat the pads with out cutting it up but for my baby sully he gets his in small peices. How old is your star?

milky

5 Year Member

@ the moment i've not yet measure it.. i just got it few weeks ago..

you were saying pulling out the stickers? u mean the torns?

is this the time of Prickly Pear can be eaten ?
File:Captive_Prickly_Pear.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Captive_Prickly_Pear.JPG

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Yes I guess there would be many names for the pokey parts. Pull out anything sharp. And if you have ever been pokes by one of these catus you know that even the little thorns hurt

milky

5 Year Member
i see...i search @ google all i see was fat prickly pear. so i scare the skinny one that i posted just now cannot be eaten.... if that is the case then i'm relieved.. thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Milky and Reptilefreek, the easy way to get rid of the spines (thorns or pokey parts) are to burn them off. Just set the pad on the stove or BBQ and the thorns will burn off easy. It only take a minute or two you will see them turn red and orange and spark and Well lets just say it's fun to watch. The pic you posted of the catuse is Nopalas style they have a thornless that actually has thorns but not many and no really large ones. There are many many types of catus most are edible But these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Captiv...y_Pear.JPG are some of the type I feed to mine. You can cut them up into smaller pieces if your tort is small.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
See I tried to burn off the little prickers and it didn't seem to work. But I was using a barbecue lighter also. I wish I lived in the desert because I would grow a bunch of different cactus for my guys. They cant get enough of it. Or do you think cactus could survive Seattle weather

milky

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Milky and Reptilefreek, the easy way to get rid of the spines (thorns or pokey parts) are to burn them off. Just set the pad on the stove or BBQ and the thorns will burn off easy. It only take a minute or two you will see them turn red and orange and spark and Well lets just say it's fun to watch. The pic you posted of the catuse is Nopalas style they have a thornless that actually has thorns but not many and no really large ones. There are many many types of catus most are edible But these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Captiv...y_Pear.JPG are some of the type I feed to mine. You can cut them up into smaller pieces if your tort is small.

ic.. i thought the one that i posted cannot be edible.. phew..... if like that i'll just get rid the spines & throw the whole thing to my stars..

Status
Not open for further replies.