Pricky pear cactus for RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
I just cut a pad and piece of fruit of a prickly pear cactus in my yard. Is this ok for my Russian? If so, do I feed the purple part or the pad? I know I need to get the prickers off... So I am assuming the inside is ok? Thanks in advance.

image-2872619899.png

Niki

5 Year Member
ada caro said:
My RT loves them, yes u have to take out the prickers.

I am working on the prickers... Is the purple fruit ok too? I am going to put in refrig tonight and give it to her in morning. I don't think she has ever had one before. I hope she loves it!

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
When I fed my tort the pad and the prickly pear the easiest way I found to get rid of the prickers was to burn them off. :) It was way easier then cutting them off.

Niki

5 Year Member
LuvmyGreenSon said:
When I fed my tort the pad and the prickly pear the easiest way I found to get rid of the prickers was to burn them off. :) It was way easier then cutting them off.

That's a good idea... Thx!

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
I buy the fruit at the grocery store and just chop it up into little chunks :) and then sometimes I use a potato peeler on the pads or I'll chop into little chunks as well

blackbird

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coastal San Diego
Morty the Torty said:
I buy the fruit at the grocery store and just chop it up into little chunks :) and then sometimes I use a potato peeler on the pads or I'll chop into little chunks as well

I buy them too- my local market carries both the pads and the fruit, already de-prickered and sliced. I live in an area with a heavy Latino population and they're very common foods in certain dishes, and it's easier for me buy them than worry about getting attacked by the cacti near our house ^.^

Niki

5 Year Member
FYI... My RT didn't even touch it! Went through all the work and she snubbed it! Well...at least now I know.

blackbird

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coastal San Diego
Is that something a RT would normally have access to? Bogey's a desert tortoise and she loves a lot of the scrubby, desert type plants and she goes nuts over prickly pear.

Niki

5 Year Member
blackbird said:
Is that something a RT would normally have access to? Bogey's a desert tortoise and she loves a lot of the scrubby, desert type plants and she goes nuts over prickly pear.

I would think that an RT would not come across that in the wild. But I have read that they do like prickly pear. Just not mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.