Privacy, safety of torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Yesterday a neighbor slowed down because he noticed our Mini Horses.
They are usually kept in the back pasture that is why he never noticed them before. :rolleyes: I was kind of angry and my husband was unhappy with me when I told him, 'WE LIVE 300 FT off the road, for him to
stop and say he never noticed our mini's means when he drives by he
is looking in our yard.:(

The next door neighbor told another neighbor down the road about
our Sulcata's asking if he could come touch one. So other ppl
are telling other ppl. It just makes me so nervous that someone
may have dishonorable intentions.

Ok am I just being a paranoid? I want a 6 ft privacy fence up at the top
of the property near the road. And I want it YESTERDAY;)
I've started putting a lock on the gate at night.
And a lock on the outdoor enclosures. Also having hubby put up
motion lights. I just don't want to take any chances.
My torts really mean a lot to me you all already know
how any of us feels about our torts.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
:) I have a Cane Corso.....sooo maybe get a large teddy bear of a dog like mine....that wouldnt hurt a fly....but if he doesnt know someone....well that person becomes lunch.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have a 6 foot wooden fence all the way around my yard with a lock on the gate. I have motion lights on all corners of the yard. I am paranoid too, but I would be devastated if anything ever happened to my turtles or tortoises. My worst nightmare!!!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Blessed3x said:
Ok am I just being a paranoid?

Not at all! We live in a great upscale neighborhood, however we have a jungle worth of strategically placed landscaping, double fencing, the gate is always chained & locked, a highly trained german shepherd is always at home, and not to even mention me! My biggest fear is theft! Keeping your exposure minimized lessons the chance of anything criminal!

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
We have two German Shepherds but they're usually in the house at night.
Maybe they need to be kept outdoors at night until we get the wooden privacy fence up.
We are totally fenced but it's a fence people can see down into our 3/4 acre front yard :(

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont blame you at all for feeling paranoid because I feel the same way lol. I always tell my neighbors the torts are desert tortoises and are illegal to sell in AZ. Or if its a different type the next time I just say "o it costs 5-10 bucks". Just get some emus and all your security troubles will be solved. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I always tell my neighbors the torts are desert tortoises and are illegal to sell

:D I like that, I have also told folks that ours are sulcatas and they bite!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I dont blame you at all for feeling paranoid because I feel the same way lol. I always tell my neighbors the torts are desert tortoises and are illegal to sell in AZ. Or if its a different type the next time I just say "o it costs 5-10 bucks". Just get some emus and all your security troubles will be solved. :)

No joke on Emu's those dudes are freaking mean!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Anything view able from public property is fair game.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
I actually like emus and know someone with some for sale.
They are quite sweet to 'their' humans but not to strangers.
I just put our female GSD out for the night along with our German Pincher, they will not only alert me
but will not let anyone on the property. May just put the male GSD out also, but the female is a more serious dog.
As is the male German Pincher. We also always sleep with our window open and our bedroom
faces the yard. I'd been thinking about doing some French Ring work with the GSD, we have a fairly well FR trainer
in the area. Would be nice to get some kind of formal training on her.
Calling for fencing estimates tomorrow morning. I think I may start bringing everyone inside for the night.
Need to get use to the barn anyway, winter will be here soon. I always bring our little ones into the house at night.
Anything I can lift without help that is :)
I'm gonna start spreading the word my torts bite!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't spread the word they bite, you don't need a nosy crusader neighbor calling the authorities trying to protect the neighborhood, from dangerous tortoises.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Emus and dogs dont normally mix though so they would most likely have to be separated. They are extremely cheap as well so I would at least get two if that is a possible direction you are going in.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I wouldn't spread the word they bite, you don't need a nosy crusader neighbor calling the authorities trying to protect the neighborhood, from dangerous tortoises.

Sigh.... that's true.

We do have a fairly nice neighborhood and people watch out for one
another. It just really bothered me that neighbor slowed down and stopped and had to mention he never noticed our mini's. He mine as
well of told us he looks down our yard every time he drives by.:(
I'll keep the fe GSD and the German Pincher out at night from now on until I can get the privacy fence up but of course that will take a few weeks between estimates and the company we pick putting us on their schedual.My husband is going to look at motion
lights tomorrow. He's rolling his eyes at me and telling me the neighbor
was just being friendly.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Emus and dogs dont normally mix though so they would most likely have to be separated. They are extremely cheap as well so I would at least get two if that is a possible direction you are going in.

My husband and I have actually been wanting to replace the fence and
today I mentioned how I would love to have a fence inside the fence
where the dogs could run the perimeter. If I did a 2nd fence 6 ft inside the main fence they would have a 6 ft by 700 ft area to run.
My dil thought that was a great idea. I guess we'll figure it out
We try so hard to be inconspicuous, even painting out chicken coops
and rabbit hutches an evergreen/pine green so to blend in with the
trees. The front yard is the best place and the best grass for the
torts. And the best place for us to keep an eye on them and enjoy them.
Will just have to do a privacy fence.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
None of our neighbors are aware that I keep tortoises at all, much less in the back yard. I also try to avoid posting pics of the outdoor pens on any local site, like Facebook groups, etc. There's a few reptile folks here locally that I'm not on the greatest terms with already, and while I hate to be one to think the worst of folks, I don't want to set the table for temptation.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think cameras are as much of a deterrent as motion lights or a fence, but if something happens, then you have something to help you get them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.