Probably a dumb question.....but...(playing with a hatchling)

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
A friend's daughter has a baby sully and she likes to play with it and let it walk around. She sometimes puts it in a plastic hamster ball to walk around the house. It is a tiny tort. This seems like a bad idea to me, but that is just a gut feeling. What are your thoughts. Only experienced Sulcata owners please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Agreed. Bad idea. Babies need to be babied a bit. Running loose in the house or outside is a bad idea. Just a question of time until something bad happens. I'd never use a hamster ball, but even that seems better than running loose. At least it can't eat anything, get stepped on or smashed by a door in a hamster ball.

I'm glad the little girl is interested in tortoises, but it seems like her parents might need some guidelines. How old is the girl? Can she be trusted to be gentle and not kick or throw the ball?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Imho, hamsters shouldn't be put in a hamster ball, never mind a tortoise. o_O

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank- you Jodie I figured some one would tell me how bad I was ! Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
The girl is in 7th grade. She is gentle with the tort, but I still see tragedy in this little torts future. I don't live near them anymore so have only seen her with the tort twice. When I have given advice it is not always followed. I am not crazy about her set up....no humid hide. I am continuing to tag her mom in sulcata care sheets on face book. If any one wants to email me care sheets I can forward them to her. [email protected]. Thanks!

chaseswife

5 Year Member
It's no worst then if her parents put her in a 55 gallon drum and rolled her down a hill it may be funny to watch but what dose she think of my idea ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Oh man- i grew up with 5 brothers. We got bored and decided to put one of the younger boys in a big toy bucket, put a helmet on his head, pad him with blankets and shove him down the basement stairs. It is a miracle that he wasn't hurt. Just because someone does something once, twice, (or maybe possibly 5 times), without anything bad happening doesn't mean it was ever a good idea to begin with.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Now I am worried that this little guy isn't growing. They got him in May, and I know sullys grow fast. How much bigger should he be than when they got him?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Bump....How much should a sully hatchling grow in 5 months? I know some grow faster than others but what is the minimum?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bump....How much should a sully hatchling grow in 5 months? I know some grow faster than others but what is the minimum?

In 5 months mine are usually around 300 grams. By 12 months they are usually 800-1000 grams. But remember this is under optimal conditions from day one.

How much does the tortoise weigh? If it has hit 100 or so by this point things aren't looking too terribly bad. If it is stalled at 50 grams or less, chances are good that it is suffering from the effects of chronic dehydration as a hatchling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it going to take a dead tortoise for someone to wake these people up? Send the 7th grader some care info and a link to the forum. There is no age restriction here. Unless she is clueless like her parents, she is old enough to no right from wrong, good from bad and should be able to make some changes, like smashing the hamster ball and soaking the tort and giving it something to drink out of.