Problem with Carapace and Plastron...

jonckt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Land Below The Wind
Hi,

Recently found out my sulcata had problem with the carapace and plastron, may i know what causes the highlighted part and is there any ways to correct it?20140529_133803_mh1404172477394.jpg

Besides, l so detected the gular of the sulcata is growing towards the left hand side . May i have some suggestion on correcting it?
IMG-20140701-WA0005.jpg

His diet is half Mazuri pallet and one Sudo Pallet mixed with hay powder per day. Soak on warm water daily. Under the sun for at least 3 to 4 times a week. Had been keeping him for 9 months from a hacthling.

He weigh at 38Grams - 5cm (25-09-2013)
He wighh at 125 Grams - 6cm (30-06-2014)

I lived in a tropical country which does not have 4 seasons. temperature maintained at 29-31 Degree C. Humidity from 65-85 approximately. I raised it in a glass terranium, 4feet x2feetx1feet. an exo terra uvb 150 bulb at on of the corner, water pool, use bark and artificial grass carpet as substrate. I also locate a humidifier next to the terranium and had a timer sets on 15 minutes of cold mist every 2 hours. UVB lights on from 6am - 5pm daily.
IMG-20140701-WA003.jpg IMG-20140701-WA004.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Your baby needs a diet with more verity. Grasses, weeds and such. Also I think a warmer basking area of 35 to 37. He will also need a lot more room to grow. My ten month sulcata weighs over 670 grams. Not sure if any of these things are related to the issue. Hope an expert chimes in for you.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've for a leopard baby that has some very similar scute growth. I'm not sure if it will correct itself or not. I'm not sure about the gular growing to the left. I've never seen that before.

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jonathan:

I don't know if it helps or not, because I've never has a actively growing baby with stuck scutes, but try it for a few months and see: Dip a Q-tip into olive oil and gently rub/massage the stuck part a couple of times a day. When finished, wipe off the excess oil.

The gular area shows an awful lot of new growth on the right side, making the gular look like its leaning towards the left. As long as you have the oil-dipped Q-tip in your hand anyway, just try massaging the left side of the gular at the growth seam and see if that helps it to grow too.

Keep the baby hydrated and in a humid environment. The moisture helps lubricate the shell too.

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
Your baby needs a diet with more verity. Grasses, weeds and such. Also I think a warmer basking area of 35 to 37. He will also need a lot more room to grow. My ten month sulcata weighs over 670 grams. Not sure if any of these things are related to the issue. Hope an expert chimes in for you.

I have another sulcata bought 3 days later about the same size when I get him, around 5.5 cm . He's now 9 cm, but only weigh 226gram.

Did you raise it outdoor lismar?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404205523.692615.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TortForum

Jc

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
Hi Jonathan:

I don't know if it helps or not, because I've never has a actively growing baby with stuck scutes, but try it for a few months and see: Dip a Q-tip into olive oil and gently rub/massage the stuck part a couple of times a day. When finished, wipe off the excess oil.

The gular area shows an awful lot of new growth on the right side, making the gular look like its leaning towards the left. As long as you have the oil-dipped Q-tip in your hand anyway, just try massaging the left side of the gular at the growth seam and see if that helps it to grow too.

Keep the baby hydrated and in a humid environment. The moisture helps lubricate the shell too.

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Besides, the little fellow used to pass urate twice to 3 times a week during soaking time but he had stopped passing rates for 2 months. No matter how long I soak him, just don't see him passing urate.

Sent from my iPad using TortForum

Jc

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I live in a cooler northern climate with hot summers & cold winters. Mine is ina 3.5x 6 foot enclosure with 80% humidity and a lot of room to walk. I did not put a lot of decorations in there other than plants, a hide box full of moss, and a terra cotta dish for water, and another for food. She goes outside for a few hours a day when the weather is nice. She eats a good diet of grasses, weeds, mulberry leafs, and mazuri a couple times a week. She also gets a good amount of calcium. I would highly suggest looking at your diet and enclosures. They migh not bethe issue but I think you could really improve them for your torts
She gets a lot of excersize, a good diet, and plenty of humidity. This has been a big help to her growth.

Attachments

• 20140612_101653_resized.jpg
    20140612_101653_resized.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 20