Problems pooping please help

Lexie

5 Year Member
My almost 2 year old herman tortoise is having troubles trying to poop for the last few weeks, not every time, but a few times I have seen him really straining to go and he is not pooping as frequently as he use to. I put him in a worm soak and that seems to help a little. I have tried giving him more frequent soaks, he gets one about every other day, but he hasn't been staying in them as long as he use to. He hasn't been drinking his water as much, so I have tried taking a dropper to see if he will drink from that with a little baby carrot food to persuade him. I'm worried he's dehydrated. He is in a mix of cypress mulch, coco coir, and fir bark. He has a basking spot of 95 degrees and a range of temp from 75-90 degrees throughout his table. The humidity ranges from 30-50%. He eats mainly spring mix, Matzuri, and he has dandelions, mallow and wheat grass planted in his table but he doesn't really eat any of it yet. I use a calcium and D3 supplement every other day as well. His poops seem fairly normal, no blood or anything unusual, just harder than normal. It seems as though it is painful for him to go. Please help! I don't know what do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you soak them, you should put them in a container that they can't get out of. Soak him every day for 20-30 minutes in a large container, like the tub. Moving around will also help move things through. The dish in the enclosure should be large enough for him to get into and drink or soak. That's the one that he can self soak for as long or as little as he wants.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
When you soak them, you should put them in a container that they can't get out of. Soak him every day for 20-30 minutes in a large container, like the tub. Moving around will also help move things through. The dish in the enclosure should be large enough for him to get into and drink or soak. That's the one that he can self soak for as long or as little as he wants.

Exactly what Wellington said. Ease of pooping is all about hydration hydration hydration. Once they get used to pooping in the water they will usually start doing it within 2-3 minutes of being in the water so you will have to keep an eye on them to change their water. Who wants to soak in poop water ya know? lol