ProRep Tortoise Life, any good?

Gazzagutbucket

Location (City and/or State)
Runcorn
Hi Everyone,
When i took on my Hermann's tortoise he came in a Viv with tortoise life substrate, is this a good choice? He seems happy but it gets very dusty and dry but if damp, i have a shallow water pool in with him, it sticks all over his legs etc. Should i spray it lightly to keep down dust, keep the Viv slightly humid? Thanks in advance.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Tortoises require higher humidity than people generally consider so if the substrate is dusty I would definitely suggest you spritz it down. Make sure the temperatures are high enough though because cold+damp is a bad combo. Not familiar with the specific substrate but I can tell you that we as keepers are definitely more concerned with how clean they are than our tortoises are, I'd guess him being a little dirty wont bother him one bit.

Gazzagutbucket

Runcorn
Thank you, it does get a little dusty but i have started giving it a slight misting spray each day, seems to be much better. Tiddles seems to enjoy the mud! Just makes bathing him a little messier. Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a mixture of top soil and sand, so it can be moistened without molding, however, we don't recommend using sand as they track it through their food, then eat it. Sand causes impaction. Look instead for fir bark or coco coir.