Pros and cons of using rubber "wood chips" as substrate inside indoor enclosures?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, I know armor all on car tires helps, and so does minimizing exposure to UV Ray's. Too bad torts need UV, and I am going to bet armor all does not add a whole lot of benefit to tortoise health

This in itself is all true....minimize exposure to uv rays? I am not sorry for sharing here what I am about to....you are dealing with a creature that needs and thrives with exposure to uv rays....you as a human have been told uv rays will kill you...silly. We humans need and thrive with uv rays...simple as that. I would suggest that if you are going to house and host a uv ray loving creature that you understand it is in itself is needed...the sun and all of its glory is designed to promote what you and I and reptiles need to survive...period. Now back to the substrate....I now and still continue to promote the need for dirt....the glorious wonderful product....dirt. The earth is well, derived of dirt....period. I do not understand how you have been convinced that dirt is harmful....the dirt hold the wonderful items we all need to perform. Bacteria and critters in the dirt and designed to promote, hamper and design how we function....stop trying to think we know better. Just use it ....it is there for our use and protection. Period. Rubber is needed for tires and such, not for living, dwelling, digging critters to live in. Stop it.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Minimizing exposure to UV Ray's helps extend the effective life on tires on vehicles. So because tortoises in indoor enclosures recieve frequent and direct UV Ray's, it would cause the rubber to break down more quickly, making rubber less effective to use as a safe substrate for tortoises, especially since, as I have learned from this thread, that toxic fumes can be released at a greater rate when the product breaks down. I am sure this would be even more harmful in a closed chamber environment, which I am planning on converting my enclosures to.

I am not really sure what point you are trying to make, it seems like you have stopped following the comments in this thread a few pages back... I am not, nor have I ever, been all for the promotion of rubber substrate. The intent to of thread was to compare and contrast the benefits of it, by first putting forth the potential benefits I initially saw, because how else could I or would I bring the idea to the table?

I think dirt has a lot of great purposes, it covers our earth and sustain lives. However, in a small controlled environment, there are too many risks of not being able to control pathogens for me to use it, or to recommend others use it when other more effective materials are possible to be used by the steward.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you Tammy. I appreciate this. I did feel pretty good about the idea, until others who are more informed and experienced on certain things showed me some setbacks in the plan. For one, Tom stated that it would likely trap moisture. I have had water collect and sit under terra cotta plates, and it got moldy. I am sure this would happen if there was a water spill, because the water would not dissipate.

I do think it has some advantages in theory, but in practice I don't think it would work as well as orchid bark, cedar, or probably even ground coco coir. My intent was not to promote rubber chips, but to show everyone the potential benefits I thought it might have, so that the idea was not immediately rejected. I have no skin in the game either way. I have no interest in pursuing this, and I will not be conducting any experiments with it. I do not recommend others do it either.

I do however, recommend that we seek creative and innovative solutions to our stewardship, and that if anyone comes up with out of the box or atypical solutions, I am the first to want to hear about it, and that thay should let all of the rest of us know about it so we can work together on projects and benefit from each others ingenuity.
I am with you on what you have said. Just saying, though, cedar is toxic to reptiles.

Travick

I think dirt has a lot of great purposes, it covers our earth and sustain lives. However, in a small controlled environment, there are too many risks of not being able to control pathogens for me to use it, or to recommend others use it when other more effective materials are possible to be used by the steward.

I think my tort loves clay mask. It gives a lot of minerals soaked right through the skin and provide nice layer for friendly bacterias. And he loves the earthy smell and moving stuff in the soil.

Attachments

• WP_20180415_11_18_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180415_11_18_16_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16