Pros & Cons of Using Aquariums when a Tub is Not an Option

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MN
We have to have a secured indoor enclosure that is a minimum of 4'x2' for our Russian Tortoise. He is currently in the bottom portion of a Ferret Nation cage with plexiglass secured on the exterior 4 sides, which creates a tote-like environment but has a secure top that allows airflow. We have 2 cats and 3 boys 8 years and under, so we need an enclosure that is secured. We struggle a lot to keep his substrate moist and temps adequate (we live in MN where winters are long, cold and dry), so we are considering getting a 125 gal aquarium to use as a new indoor habitat for him. What are some pros and cons of using aquariums for torts? Anything specific we will need to watch out for? I worry about bacteria growth if it ends up being too humid...

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Aquariums are good at holding humidity. You just want the proper substrate, like cypress mulch. I have covered the tops to hold the humidity.
You can cover the lower portion of the glass with a paper. This way the tortoise cannot see out and therefore want to get out.

Many people successfully use them, as long as it's an appropriate size for the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agreed, aquariums aren't bad to use, it's the size of them that is bad. The size needed would cost thousands. This size would, be fine for an inside house with daily outside time. Otherwise, I would try to build a wood enclosure 4x8. But if you can get him outside during the nice weather on a daily basis, a small enclosure isn't so bad.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Glass is heavy, breakable and expensive. Can be hard to clean due to size & maneuverability. Other than that, it can be fine.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any reason cyprus mulch would be the substrate of choice in an aquarium? We have used a mix of Cocout coir/sand/dirt in the past (mostly coconut coir) and then have switched over to using only sphagnum moss as recommended per his vet since he has healing plastron at this point.

I realize the aquarium will be heavy, that is one setback. We are looking at being able to sell the current cage he's in after getting him into a new one to offset the cost. His current enclosure is an adapted 1/2 of a $200 ferret nation metal cage, so I am confident we could sell it fully assembled again to regain $100. I located a 125 gal aquarium with a blown seal on the bottom which makes it unusable for fish unless it gets repaired, but I think with minimal effort in repairs we could use it for a tort. It's only $200, so $100 cost after selling our current set up. Tubs/totes cannot work for our family since we have 2 cats, a dog, and 8, 5, and 2 year old boys. We need a very secure enclosure for our tort's safety. Our kids/pets aren't aggressive in any way toward the tort but legos have landed in his enclosure already and I read enough horror stories about pet's intermingling that we are never going to go that route. I want an enclosure safe enough that IF our 13 lb cat decided he was interested in the tort, he still couldn't access him. That was what had appealed to us about converting the ferret cage. However, like I stated before, we're needing a space heater in addition to a (24 hour) red heat emitting bulb and (12 hour) 100w Powersun UV to keep his temps ideal. He has very little walking/exercise room as it is now and we'd love to be able to incorporate live plants without taking away his room to move around.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can put a lid on a wooden habitat easily and spend much less
money if you choose. Staple hardware cloth to a frame & attach the frame with hinges. You can use a hasp & lock the lid shut if the boys are a problem.

I like to use casters on the habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think $200 is a ridiculous price for an aquarium that leaks. That's just silly. The person should just be glad you are hauling their junk away for them. Very heavy junk...

This point, however, is irrelevant. Even a 125 is way too small for a russian. 2x4' is fine for starting a baby, but russians need a lot of room to roam. I suggest a minimum of 4x8 when indoors. Tortoise tables are simple and easy to build, but they are difficult to heat and humidify, and they offer no protection from other pets. Sounds like you need a large closed chamber to suit your environmental needs and pet safety needs.

Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

These might offer some more insight too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Really huge aquariums even if you got one for free are also too darn tall.
You could make your own out of plate glass and silicone. If you had a supply of unwanted panels.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Thank you for the tips, suggestions and for the links! I will be doing more and more research before we commit to anything. I am intrigued by making our own, but wondering how people seal up the bottom to protect from the moist substrate. Using treated wood doesn't sound like a good idea since that puts chemicals by our tort. I was thinking lining the bottom and slightly up the edges with cheap vinyl flooring? Also, I see a lot of homemade tort enclosures that are rather short- with about 10" from the substrate to the lid. The Powersun UV bulb and other heat emitting bulbs say they are supposed to be 12-18" above the animal, so I understand the height of an aquarium itself, it just gets pretty tall when on a stand.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Hmm, I am drawing up plans for a custom built indoor enclosure, but at the same time I just found someone listed a 125 gal. aquarium with a crack for $75. Since we'll undoubtedly pay more than that in supplies to build our own, and we've had a ridiculous amount of vet bills this year for our 2 cats (and dog who is just getting out of surgery today), I am still torn as to which way to go. We'll see if the aquarium is available or not and make a decision from there. Thanks for the input.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've been told that you can splice tanks together. Carefully slice the silicon and remove one wall of each, then attach the two. That may be even cheaper, and the walls wouldn't be impossibly high. Cracked tanks are very suitable.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
We were able to pick up the 125 gallon aquarium for $75. It has a crack from top to bottom in the back long pane of glass, but it has already been sealed with silicone and was previously used for a blue tongued skink. Since it came with a full wire mesh cover, enough glass panels to cover 3/4 of the lid, an extra light fixture with 120w bulb in it, and is on a custom built stained 2x4 frame with wheels for easy moving in the house, I think we got a great deal. Just got it cleaned, disinfected and rinsed out yesterday along with sanitizing all the natural rocks for the enclosure. It will look odd since we have to use limited substrate while our RT's plastron is healing, but he'll get plenty of room to move around once we're set up.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
I know his setup looks odd since he can't have normal substrate or a water dish right now due to his healing plastron, but it's a good start. We've got to get more things for him to hide behind and put a couple supports under the wire lid in case our obese cats try to jump on top tonight when we're in bed. IMG_5308.JPG IMG_5309.JPG IMG_5310.JPG

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Just my two cents...

We live in a pretty dry climate as well and we are successful at maintaining humidity in an open top table because it is built with very high sides - almost 20 inches. We use a soil coir mix which is also quite deep. It is well planted. These things together keep humidity at 50percent even when I neglect watering or turning over the substrate for quite a few days. Normally it is between 60 and 70, which if am not mistaken is more than sufficient for your species. By having the deeper substrate, the moisture is present at those lower levels, and if you turn the soil with a little trowel every other day, it works well.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to work up to having substrate and live plants once our RT's plastron is healed far enough. He had an injury/possible shell rot that gave him a run for his life and us a run for our money earlier this year, so we're following vet's advice to keep him on as clean and dry of a surface as possible with frequent soakings. I appreciate your suggestion as that's the kind of environment I am hoping to work up to!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I really loved our aquarium set up with our Sulcata was small. We knew he would outgrow it fast but it was AWESOME in regards to holding humidity! (I love the kids artwork behind it yours!) Since you have to keep him dry (and you cannot add plants, etc. just yet) the only suggestion I would have it to get rid of that current water dish (he could flip himself trying to get in/out) and get a terracotta saucer from the hardware store. That way the sides are much lower and you have less of a risk (ideally you would want to sink it in your substrate so the side is at the same height as it.) I would also cover as much of the top as you can, to hold that humidity in.

weelass.jpg

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
With summer setting in and my refusal to turn on the AC, we're plenty humid and he's holding 60% humidity without any misting today. He doesn't currently have a water dish, but I'm guessing you saw the wet rock in the background, we had just rinsed it off :) We plan to use a terracotta sunken into substrate once his plastron is healed enough. Your aquarium setup looks gorgeous, such a cute lil tort!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Ahhhhhh!! My cute little tort is now almost 3lbs...LOL He's grown! ;)