Prospective tort owner, need help choosing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I'm just beginning my search for the perfect tortoise to buy. I've read a million articles on care and everything for them,including building a table, food, hibernation, etc. the list could go on for days. I've wanted a tortoise since I was a kid. So, now the time has come for me to finally decide which breed I want. I really am looking for some advice from experienced owners. Here are a few things I'm looking for...

A tort that will stay small(ish). I am in an apartment in northern Indiana at the moment. I will only be here another year before moving to a house. So, one that will stay under 7" for the first few years would be ideal.

A tort that is hardy. I love my pets, they mean the world to me. I would hate to lose a pet because I am a slight newbie. You can educate yourself so much before you get a pet, but each one is different so I need something that can hold up during our transition phase.

Lastly, I'm not sure about having to hibernate them. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. So thought on hibernation? If it truly is safe to not hibernate, Im fine with one that does in the wild. I've just read mixed articles.

So,that's about it. Money isn't really an issue. Like I said, I live where it isn't possible to keep them outside. I want to make the right decision so any help/opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Marci

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Marci!

I think a steppe tortoise (Agrionemys horsfieldii) would be the right tortoise for you. They are a small specie and very hardy, and forgiving of newbie mistakes.

You won't need to hibernate any tortoise you decide to get, because hibernation only needs to occur if conditions dictate it. If you keep the tortoise warm and eating, he won't hibernate. However, if you allow him to see that it is winter, with colder days and nights and less light, he will want to hibernate. Its up to you and how you keep him.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I knew you could keep them from hibernating and that they might just slow down. However, I read an article that the person said he had a hard time keeping his alive for more than 5 years when he didn't hibernate them. have you guys heard anything like that? Is a steppe a Russian? And what does everyone think about Greeks? I know it's just cosmetic but I like them doomed shells. Not a priority of course. They are all adorable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the Greek tortoise strikes your fancy, then, by all means get a Greek tortoise. They are great little tortoises.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I think a captive bred Greek, Hermann's, Russian or marginated would be a good starter tortoise. Hibernating is not a big deal. If you keep them warm they may slow down but they will not hibernate. Out here in California, I keep my babies outside 365. They hibernate on their own and wake up in the spring. I know people who do this where temps get down to the 20's. There are also people who are very fearful of doing so and use a fridge or never allow them to hibernate.

I am not a fan of artificially inducing hibernation ie a fridge. Not because it does not work, it does, I just like letting tortoises do their thing without too much involvement. I was always taught not to hibernate young tortoises but after doing so for a long time successfully, i do not agree with that statement anymore. I think hibernating them correctly and making sure they are healthy before starting the process is what is important.

It is easier not to hibernate them but I would argue, they grow at a more natural, healthy pace when hibernated.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it! Any other words of advice? Over the next few weeks I'm going to be getting everything set up. Any one have good supply websites?

Lastly, being in Indiana, where in the world do I get a Greek at? I'm not a fan of getting one from the pet store but I've seen a Russian and a yellow foot at the stores in Lafayette (Purdue's campus). Is there a reliable site to order them from? I found tortoisesupply.com. Any thoughts?

Thank a million. I'd still be lost in a sea of adorableness on google if it wasn't for this site. Haha :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Are you thinking an adult or a hatchling, or one in between? Might help us to give advise as where to look. Can't recall if any of our members currently have any listed for sale in our own For Sale section or not, but be sure to check there.

As to the comment about not being able to keep his Russians going after more then five years without hibernation, I have never heard that one. I know mine are going on longer then five years without hibernation. :tort:

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Either would be fine. I'm an avid pet rescuer so if I could give a good home to a tort that needs one I would. But I would ideally like to raise one from a hatchling. I know it's risky but to each his own. ;) I plan on being over prepared by the time he gets here. I'll give the marketplace on here a browse.

Glad to hear e hibernating thing doesn't seem to be true.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Are you thinking an adult or a hatchling, or one in between? Might help us to give advise as where to look. Can't recall if any of our members currently have any listed for sale in our own For Sale section or not, but be sure to check there.

As to the comment about not being able to keep his Russians going after more then five years without hibernation, I have never heard that one. I know mine are going on longer then five years without hibernation. :tort:

Welcome! To touch on what jacqui said, one of our members Edna has a wonderful male Eastern Hermanns for sale. I got my first tort from her a few weeks ago and he's great! Here's a link to her thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Eastern-Hermanns-males-for-sale#axzz23eXOjyim

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Anyone heard of the Midwest reptile show in Indianapolis? Is it even worth my gas to go looking for my forever friend there?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! I am going to recommend any of the testudo (aside from the egyptians, being a more extensive care), as stated above, your greeks, hermanns, marginated are all wonderful easy species that will grow upwards of 10+ inches, especially the marginated hitting around 12". Over a relative long time period to hit those sizes though. They all have wonderful personalities, and are easily cared for in your environment and living arrangements to start with one, then add to the group when you get a house, because they are that much fun and relaxing to keep.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I can't wait to get my Greek! I'm determined to search til I find a beautiful tort!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.