Protein food sources and frequency

baldegale

so i have a 7? year old redfoot who has been neglected the past couple years diet and humidity wise. his eyes are a little watery and puffy but no wheezing or anything of the like, ive been keeping soaks, humidity, and temps right for the past few months and hes finally starting to grow again (showing growth lines and gaining weight, hes only 650 grams) however ive been completely forgetting about feeding animal protein and ive been told that can be causation too. so for a tort this size, whats a good protein source? due to having a snake i always have pinkies around, ive also been feeding mazuri consistently too. how often should i feed the protein aswell?

TL;DR: whats a good protein source and schedule for a 650g tort?

baldegale

hes 8 years old, my bad but hes still really small but starting to grow again with proper care, i should add that his eyes have gotten a lot better over the past couple months aswell

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
For protein I use Chicken, fish, tuna, hard boiled or scrambled eggs (Feed the Shell too), sardines, Earthworms, and sometimes low fat cat food. I feed protein about once a week.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
1-2 times a week I feed my forest tortoises animal protein:
  • raw salmon (with skin)
  • raw chicken/beef liver
  • scrambled egg with shell
  • reptilinks (it's like a sausage, made of various animal bits, with some fruit & veg mixed in)
Where on most days I aim to feed a mix of various food and also bit more than they'll eat in a day, on animal protein days I try to give them only the animal protein and just as much as they'll eat in 30-60 minutes, because:
  1. I want them to focus on the animal protein
  2. I don't want it to rot in their enclosure if they take 24 hours to finish eating
  3. I think it's OK for them to eat light 1-2 days a week
I'm not an expert, but my torts seem to do well with this regimen.

Jamie

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Sources I most commonly use are superworms(mostly when they are indoors during cold months), aquatic turtle pellets(mostly when they are outdoors during warm months), and (less frequently) pinky mice. They relish all of it. I don't really keep close track of frequency...probably once every two weeks or so.