Protein for Redfoots

Ameli

Location (City and/or State)
BELFAST
I was just wandering how old red foots should be getting protein? My wee ones only about 3 months right now! Picture for attention! Snapchat-2032738348.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome! Cute baby =))

Redfoots are omnivores right from the start. You may safely start using cooked shrimp, bits of boiled egg (shell on for the calcium), invertebrates and insects. A few days a week with a balanced veg and fruit meal.

The greens in the photo are overloaded with powder. Powdered supplements are not a replacement for a balanced, varied diet...many tortoises develop serious illness as a result of over-use of supplements. If you like using supplements just-in-case, use only a mere pinch twice a week.

This is the Redfoot sub-forum - lots of great threads and RF-loving folks:

Enjoy your wee one!

Ameli

BELFAST
Welcome! Cute baby =))

Redfoots are omnivores right from the start. You may safely start using cooked shrimp, bits of boiled egg (shell on for the calcium), invertebrates and insects. A few days a week with a balanced veg and fruit meal.

The greens in the photo are overloaded with powder. Powdered supplements are not a replacement for a balanced, varied diet...many tortoises develop serious illness as a result of over-use of supplements. If you like using supplements just-in-case, use only a mere pinch twice a week.

This is the Redfoot sub-forum - lots of great threads and RF-loving folks:

Enjoy your wee one!
Thank you very much! I know it was too much powder it just came out of the tub too fast! They only get it twice a week as thats what I was advised by another person as well!
In terms of the boiled egg should I give a mix of yoke and white or just one or the other? I was also told I could give small amounts of cooked chicken as well, is this safe to use?
Going to try her with a bit of egg today! Thank you in advance!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you very much! I know it was too much powder it just came out of the tub too fast! They only get it twice a week as thats what I was advised by another person as well!
In terms of the boiled egg should I give a mix of yoke and white or just one or the other? I was also told I could give small amounts of cooked chicken as well, is this safe to use?
Going to try her with a bit of egg today! Thank you in advance!
Cooked chicken is fine...just make sure there are no other ingredients (spices, oils, breading, sauce, etc.). Pale or dark meat, just peal off the skin.

Eggs are great because they are more complete than other meat sources...yolk, white, shell. For a baby, I'd boil one off, roll it on a counter top to crush the shell, then it can be cut into bite sized pieces. Maybe the size of an average blueberry? Once they get to 4 inch straight carapace length, they can manage a 1/4 size piece just fine.

Ameli

BELFAST
Cooked chicken is fine...just make sure there are no other ingredients (spices, oils, breading, sauce, etc.). Pale or dark meat, just peal off the skin.

Eggs are great because they are more complete than other meat sources...yolk, white, shell. For a baby, I'd boil one off, roll it on a counter top to crush the shell, then it can be cut into bite sized pieces. Maybe the size of an average blueberry? Once they get to 4 inch straight carapace length, they can manage a 1/4 size piece just fine.
Thank you very much!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
intinct.jpg

I've fed my omnivorous torts a variety of animal-based proteins including shrimp (with shells), salmon (with skin), and chicken liver... but recently I switched to a raw dog food that's primarily made from meat and organs and bones all ground together.

Jamie