Protein skimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maumelle Arkansas
Just curious, in marine and reef tanks we use protein skimmers to remove organics out of the water and it stabilizes the water from any nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia from taking place by taking out waste from the water. Question, has anyone ever tried using a skimmer in an aquatic turtle setup? If so what type of skimmer was used? I have been seriously debating on trying to set my turtle system up with a sump system in order to keep my water at perfect conditions for my DBT. Would love some input on this subject if anyone has tried this process.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Protein skimmers will only work in complete salt water, they will not...i repeat will not work for brackish or freshwater.

AustinASU said:
Protein skimmers will only work in complete salt water, they will not...i repeat will not work for brackish or freshwater.

Also the best way to filter for turtles is to add a swirl filter before the water goes into your wet/dry sump.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
What would you do then in order to reduce the phosphates out of the system besides, UV sterilizing and carbon. Taking the protein skimmer out of the picture, would a wet/dry (trickle method) sump filtration system be beneficial (by increasing nitrate, and reducing nitrite). I use RO/DI water in my reef tanks and have been using it in my DBT setup, I haven't added a sterilizer yet but I'm a reef junkie and hate the use of carbon. However I want the water clear, clean and mostly to benefit my turt

Swirl filter, thank you! Will check it out now..

Status
Not open for further replies.