Protein Sources

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I've been reading a lot about protein sources for redfoots and it seems like a lot of good resources prefer cat food over anything else. I don't like using cat or dog food (I don't even feed my dogs dog food). My dogs eat a raw food diet and I'm wondering if some of the meats I use for them can be eaten. All meat is organic pasture raised and seafood is wild caught. I readily have the following protein sources available:

Ground beef 25% fat
Ground bison (very lean)
Ground lamb
Ground turkey
Ground chicken
Canned salmon
Vital Farms Eggs

Are any of these protein sources ok for redfoots? Just to add I am not worried about salmonella being carried in any of my food as I have fed these meats to my dogs for over a year. I trust the source. I'm more concerned about fat content, protein content, etc... Thanks guys

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I would like to rephrase. I don't ever want a food source to just be ok. Are any of these protein sources ideal?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All are good, I would avoid eggs, and salmon though. I use earth worms, and night crawlers myself, that I raise.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When I worked at the Philadelphia Zoo, we were a beta test site for Quantum diets, formulated by a reptile nutrionist. The prefered source of protein for herbivours was hard boiled egg. Has everything a small neonate needs to get going in the world, and so based on that alone, it's a good choice.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Why would you avoid those things?
Call it personal choice, I don't think they are bad, just something I would avoid. Again personal choice.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Call it personal choice, I don't think they are bad, just something I would avoid. Again personal choice.

That's what i thought. I haven't heard anything negative about them. Have you had any bad experiences with them?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
That's what i thought. I haven't heard anything negative about them. Have you had any bad experiences with them?
Nope, just my human prejudice maybe, thinking no salmon for a red foot, I have heard some people say eggs can upset thier stomachs, but I have ever seen it. My red foot got a hard boiled egg once, he didn't touch, so I just use protein he likes.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Nope, just my human prejudice maybe, thinking no salmon for a red foot, I have heard some people say eggs can upset thier stomachs, but I have ever seen it. My red foot got a hard boiled egg once, he didn't touch, so I just use protein he likes.

Good to know. Thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have heard hard boiled eggs are a good choice. I'm not sure that they would be eating salmon in the wild so... I would not give that to them either.