Proud new owner of Two Russian Tortoises !

N

Nas

Hello Everyone!

I have two Russian Torts, Peterson and Hazel. I have had Peterson for a little over seven months now, but Hazel is the newest addition to the family. I have used the tortoise forum to help my initial journey with Peterson, and i absolutely loved the sense of community surrounding these amazing animals!

They were both just seen at Chadwell Animal Hospital just a few days ago and I'm happy to report that they are both healthy! I just built a large enclosure for them to live in, once Hazel becomes comfortable.

Peterson and Hazel have not met, and won't for some time, but i think they'll get along very well!

Peterson is the one sleeping and Hazel is the one on the log -- They both love their logs...!

Attachments

• Snapchat-2017044570.jpg
    Snapchat-2017044570.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170608_070714.jpg
    IMG_20170608_070714.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20171101_103205.jpg
    IMG_20171101_103205.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK

Your post has rung a few alarm bells. Apologies if you are all setup fine and I am unnecessarily concerned.

A new tortoise should always be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months before introduction to make sure that neither makes the other sick. I hope you are doing this.

Tortoises are territorial loners. In the wild they roam large distances and avoid each other, meeting only to mate and then moving on. They don't get lonely and see another tort simply as a rival for space and food. Russians are among the worst for territorial behaviour. Pairs really do not work. There is always a dominant one and the subordinate one gets very stressed because it can't leave and stressed tortoises get sick. Even cuddling up together to sleep is actually one telling the other to leave. These two need to be kept separately on a permanent basis.

Have you read the TFO care guides? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Russians
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Why not to keep two torts together - a lesson learned the hard way
http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosures and lighting if you would like us to... and we love photos of tortoises!

N

Nas

Hello and welcome from Kent, UK

Your post has rung a few alarm bells. Apologies if you are all setup fine and I am unnecessarily concerned.

A new tortoise should always be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months before introduction to make sure that neither makes the other sick. I hope you are doing this.

Tortoises are territorial loners. In the wild they roam large distances and avoid each other, meeting only to mate and then moving on. They don't get lonely and see another tort simply as a rival for space and food. Russians are among the worst for territorial behaviour. Pairs really do not work. There is always a dominant one and the subordinate one gets very stressed because it can't leave and stressed tortoises get sick. Even cuddling up together to sleep is actually one telling the other to leave. These two need to be kept separately on a permanent basis.

Have you read the TFO care guides? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Russians
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Why not to keep two torts together - a lesson learned the hard way
http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosures and lighting if you would like us to... and we love photos of tortoises!

Hi There!

Rest easy, they are both living separately with their own watering area and heat and UV lamp, that's why I said they haven't met, and won't meet for a long time! The enclosure i posted is still in progress and they will not move in there for, as I said... a long time !
Thanks for the links.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi There!

Rest easy, they are both living separately with their own watering area and heat and UV lamp, that's why I said they haven't met, and won't meet for a long time! The enclosure i posted is still in progress and they will not move in there for, as I said... a long time !
Thanks for the links.
Hello and Welcome. Just to be clear. The two should never live together unless you had a big yard to house them in with lots of sight barriers. Otherwise they need to live apart and if you plan on breeding them, then put them together for that time only and then back to their own enclosures.
Just wasn't sure if you understood that clearly as your wording makes it seem like your eventually going to have them together. Just helping you to keep them healthy.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum; Russians are the best!

I will third what. others have mentioned above. If you could confirm your tortoises won’t be together other than for breeding purposes, we’ll stop bugging you. :)

N

Nas

Hello and Welcome. Just to be clear. The two should never live together unless you had a big yard to house them in with lots of sight barriers. Otherwise they need to live apart and if you plan on breeding them, then put them together for that time only and then back to their own enclosures.
Just wasn't sure if you understood that clearly as your wording makes it seem like your eventually going to have them together. Just helping you to keep them healthy.

I see what you are saying and how my wording could be confusing. They have their own enclosures and the enclosure in progress is for them, but it will have a divider so they will not be able to interact. So essentially, they will have their "own apartment in an apartment complex" if that makes sense.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see what you are saying and how my wording could be confusing. They have their own enclosures and the enclosure in progress is for them, but it will have a divider so they will not be able to interact. So essentially, they will have their "own apartment in an apartment complex" if that makes sense.
Yes, makes perfect sense. Thank you for understanding and taking it in the friendly manner it was meant. A lot of newer members don't.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Nas, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Peterson and Hazel. :)