Public Service Announcement - Tortoise Food Chunks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was reminded today that not everyone knows that "hard" foods like opuntia, cucumber, carrots, or this time of year, pumpkin should not be cut up and fed in chunks. Chunks of these types of food will be swallowed whole by tortoises and can cause them to choke to death. It doesn't happen every day, but I've seen and heard of several cases over the years.

These types of foods should be fed either whole or grated. Large pieces that cannot be swallowed whole, like large pumpkin wedges or whole cactus pads for example, will be bitten in to and eaten bite by bite. Since the tortoise bit it off with its own mouth, it can never be too large or have weird corners that cause it to get stuck in the throat. Such pieces will always be "bite size" for each individual tortoise. Likewise, grated pieces are a fine way to mix these sorts of food items in with greens, or hay for grass eating species.

For hatchlings and babies, grated may be too large. In this case, the food can be liquified into a mush in a blender or food processor to be mixed with other greens and such, or fed whole in large pieces so they have to bite off their own pieces. I feed whole opuntia pads to my hatchlings and they have no trouble eating them.

Softer foods like grocery store greens and some weeds can be chopped or minced and those are usually flexible enough to pass if a large piece is swallowed.

When in doubt, mince things up super fine, or offer huge pieces that are way too large to swallow for the size tortoise you are feeding.

Happy Torting!!!
IMG_5479.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was reminded today that not everyone knows that "hard" foods like opuntia, cucumber, carrots, or this time of year, pumpkin should not be cut up and fed in chunks. Chunks of these types of food will be swallowed whole by tortoises and can cause them to choke to death. It doesn't happen every day, but I've seen and heard of several cases over the years.

These types of foods should be fed either whole or grated. Large pieces that cannot be swallowed whole, like large pumpkin wedges or whole cactus pads for example, will be bitten in to and eaten bite by bite. Since the tortoise bit it off with its own mouth, it can never be too large or have weird corners that cause it to get stuck in the throat. Such pieces will always be "bite size" for each individual tortoise. Likewise, grated pieces are a fine way to mix these sorts of food items in with greens, or hay for grass eating species.

For hatchlings and babies, grated may be too large. In this case, the food can be liquified into a mush in a blender or food processor to be mixed with other greens and such, or fed whole in large pieces so they have to bite off their own pieces. I feed whole opuntia pads to my hatchlings and they have no trouble eating them.

Softer foods like grocery store greens and some weeds can be chopped or minced and those are usually flexible enough to pass if a large piece is swallowed.

When in doubt, mince things up super fine, or offer huge pieces that are way too large to swallow for the size tortoise you are feeding.

Happy Torting!!!
View attachment 351620
Yes. It can even happen to me in certain circumstances with a vitamin I take. I have to cut it in half in the first place. The edges can be sharp so I have to make them softer in my mouth before I can swallow it. Similar things can happen with vegetables or insects when feeding critters. It could be too sharp or too large to swallow. I've watched😊 and you're right.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California

Happy Torting!!!
View attachment 351620
What about the stems of dandelion greens, endive and escarole. I have been chopping those up for my young tortoises but can they choke on these also?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about the stems of dandelion greens, endive and escarole. I have been chopping those up for my young tortoises but can they choke on these also?
I have never had that happen. If the tortoise is too small to eat them whole, they take small bites one at a time. If they are large enough to swallow the stems whole, they seem to be able to handle them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just in case it wasn't made clear in the first post:

Tortoises don't have teeth. What they put into their mouths goes down the throat whole. When a tortoise eats something hard, he bites off a size piece that fits down his throat. If you cut it up so he can get the whole piece into his mouth, that's what goes down his throat, so it's best to not cut it into chunks. Let him bite it off himself. Otherwise, cut it up smaller.

Another thing to note:

The action of biting off his food from a larger piece helps to keep the beak from becoming overgrown.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California

Tortoises don't have teeth. What they put into their mouths goes down the throat whole. When a tortoise eats something hard, he bites off a size piece that fits down his throat. If you cut it up so he can get the whole piece into his mouth, that's what goes down his throat, so it's best to not cut it into chunks. Let him bite it off himself. Otherwise, cut it up smaller.

Another thing to note:

The action of biting off his food from a larger piece helps to keep the beak from becoming overgrown.
Thank you!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC

Another thing to note:

Thank you. It may be due to getting 3 hours of sleep (had to get up and get the brisket going in the smoker!) but I was struggling to understand what Tom was saying.

Now to get the kids to school, and trake a nap

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. It may be due to getting 3 hours of sleep (had to get up and get the brisket going in the smoker!) but I was struggling to understand what Tom was saying.

Now to get the kids to school, and trake a nap
Mmmmmm... brisket.....

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Mmmmmm... brisket.....
I do a lot of things, but not a lot of things well. Brisket is one I do quite well. Truth be told, I learned just so i could troll my Texan friends, while at the same time informing them that Beef Isn't BBQ.

Will trade brisket for waterland tubs.

Attachments

• beefisnotbbq.jpg
    beefisnotbbq.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do a lot of things, but not a lot of things well. Brisket is one I do quite well. Truth be told, I learned just so i could troll my Texan friends, while at the same time informing them that Beef Isn't BBQ.

Will trade brisket for waterland tubs.
I'm here with Pete from Waterland Tubs. We are in AZ at the TTPG conference right now. I'm typing this from my hotel room. I'll run your offer by Pete and see what he says.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I'm here with Pete from Waterland Tubs. We are in AZ at the TTPG conference right now. I'm typing this from my hotel room. I'll run your offer by Pete and see what he says.
Well then, I need to add some details.

I do smoke/steam/smoke method of my own invention. Takes about 16hr total. I low temp smoke it for many hours, then steak it in a dark chocolate stout, then back to the smoker to finish.

I'm picking up a male Cuora mccordi in a week or so, so obviously the best way to inform my wife is to do so while serving brisket on a friday night.