Puffy swollen eyes, bulge when open!

Ariel and Tank

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hello Everyone!

I have been super worried about my tortoise as on occasion his eyes would puff up and appear to even bulge out when he tries to open them! I can tell it causes him a lot of discomfort as I have seen him try to "scratch" his eyes :( I have already purchased eyedrops that were recommended at the pet store but it doesn't seem to help much. I have also read that it could mean he is too dry so I do soak him in the bath for a little while as suggested. I am not sure if he may have something more severe than dryness, but I would like to seek more advice from experienced tortoise owners before taking him to the vet to see if this problem could be remedied at home.

Tankeye1.jpeg Tankeye2.jpeg
Here are some photos of him still in the bath after a soak, when he is trying to open his eyes the appearance is much more alarming :(

He does not have this problem all the time, so I am not sure what causes this, could it be possible he is allergic to something?

Thank you in advanced! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

- Ariel

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Ariel. Sorry you are having this problem. Let's see if we can figure it out.

1. What substrate is this tortoise living on?
  2. What type of UV bulb, if any, is over this tortoise?
  3. What other types of heating and lighting are you using?
  4. What do you typically feed this tortoise?
  5. Does this tortoise live alone?
  6. What are your four temperatures for this tortoise? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Ariel and Tank

Hong Kong
Hi Ariel. Sorry you are having this problem. Let's see if we can figure it out.

1. What substrate is this tortoise living on?
  2. What type of UV bulb, if any, is over this tortoise?
  3. What other types of heating and lighting are you using?
  4. What do you typically feed this tortoise?
  5. Does this tortoise live alone?
  6. What are your four temperatures for this tortoise? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
Hi Tom! thank you for your quick response :)

He use to live on a corn based substrate I believe? to be honest he has now out grown his terrarium so I often let him roam freely around my apartment :/ could that be the issue? The weather here in Hong Kong is typically warm and humid and the bulb we use is an incandescent basking bulb I believe? I am sorry for my lack of reptile care vocabulary here. I normally feed him lots of different greens which include asian veggies like bok choy, and lettuce is his "main" source of water but he does take occasional gulps of water when soaking. Diet would also include fruits once in a while. Tank does live alone as well.

I hope this narrows things down? please let me know if there is anything I should change, I am already learning so much and I wish I had found this forum sooner :(

Thanks again,
Ariel

Ariel and Tank

Hong Kong
Hello, Ariel, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Tank. :)
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Is he a sulcata?
if so also http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
might help you see if you are doing something wrong.

Hello! and thank you for your warm welcome :)

Thank you so much for your links, I feel very inexperienced so these have already helped me learn a lot

- Ariel

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom! thank you for your quick response :)

He use to live on a corn based substrate I believe? to be honest he has now out grown his terrarium so I often let him roam freely around my apartment :/ could that be the issue? The weather here in Hong Kong is typically warm and humid and the bulb we use is an incandescent basking bulb I believe? I am sorry for my lack of reptile care vocabulary here. I normally feed him lots of different greens which include asian veggies like bok choy, and lettuce is his "main" source of water but he does take occasional gulps of water when soaking. Diet would also include fruits once in a while. Tank does live alone as well.

I hope this narrows things down? please let me know if there is anything I should change, I am already learning so much and I wish I had found this forum sooner :(

Thanks again,
Ariel

• They should never be allowed to roam free on the floor. They need to be in an enclosure that is designed for them and kept safe for them. All sorts of bad things can happen down there on the floor.
  • So no UV source? Does he ever get direct sunshine? Not through glass?
  • They need a place to warm up all day log or their immune systems can't function properly. It sounds like you have a basking bulb, but how much time is is running around on the floor, compared to being in his enclosure where he can bask and warm up?
  • His diet needs some improvement. Those grocery store greens and lettuce are ok as a small part of the diet, but weeds, grass, leaves, flowers and spineless opuntia, should make up the bulk of the diet. You'll need to spend some time learning the right ones to feed and make sure your tortoise feed comes from a chemical free source. We will help you, and we can offer all sorts of ideas to help find alternatives. For example, you can start mixing in soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets to add some fiber and variety to the diet. Or you can use soaked "horse cubes" that are grass based without additives. There is more on this subject in that last link that Adam left for you.
Can we see pics of the rest of the carapace? Might be some clues in there too.

Ariel and Tank

Hong Kong
  • They should never be allowed to roam free on the floor. They need to be in an enclosure that is designed for them and kept safe for them. All sorts of bad things can happen down there on the floor.
  • So no UV source? Does he ever get direct sunshine? Not through glass?
  • They need a place to warm up all day log or their immune systems can't function properly. It sounds like you have a basking bulb, but how much time is is running around on the floor, compared to being in his enclosure where he can bask and warm up?
  • His diet needs some improvement. Those grocery store greens and lettuce are ok as a small part of the diet, but weeds, grass, leaves, flowers and spineless opuntia, should make up the bulk of the diet. You'll need to spend some time learning the right ones to feed and make sure your tortoise feed comes from a chemical free source. We will help you, and we can offer all sorts of ideas to help find alternatives. For example, you can start mixing in soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets to add some fiber and variety to the diet. Or you can use soaked "horse cubes" that are grass based without additives. There is more on this subject in that last link that Adam left for you.
Can we see pics of the rest of the carapace? Might be some clues in there too.

Here you go! I can't thank you enough for your help and advice.

Attachments

• 20170831_232557.jpg
    20170831_232557.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Carapace looks great.

Does he ever get direct sunshine, or is there an indoor UV source?