Pumpkin has gotten HUGE! (Any gender guesses?)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Pumpkin turned one just over a month ago, and man, I'm still surprised by how big (s)he has gotten. A lot of people on this forum are surprised to hear that Pumpkin is so young because of how large s(he) is. I'm a bit perplexed myself, since I have provided a very weed rich diet and, as far as I can tell, am not overfeeding. I figured I'd post a few pics for you guys so you can see what I'm talking about. The last time I measured Pumpkin he came in at around 200g and over 4 inches SCL.

Pumpkin 10-16-14 In Enclosure.jpg

Pumpkin 10-16-14.jpg

Pumpkin 10-16-14 Tail.jpg

Pumpkin is as healthy as a horse. He always eats all of his healthy foods, chews on his cuttlebone all by himself, enjoys soaks, and stomps around his big enclosure all day. The only concern I have is about what appear to be scuffs around the new growth on the central "seam" of his plastron. Pumpkin enjoys sliding down his rocks and has recently taken to attempting death defying leaps from his half log, so I think they might just be some bumps from being a rowdy little guy. Let me know what you think, though, and feel free to speculate about his gender :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Pumpkin is GORGEOUS!!!
Looks female to me, but I could be wrong. :p

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you both very much for your compliments :D Call it maternal instincts, but I've also gotten the feeling that Pumpkin may turn out to be a female. We'll just have to wait and see!

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Well pumpkin looks like may turn boy to me.

Pumpkin very well could. (S)he's still very young. It doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just getting all excited about speculating for the future :D I would one day love to have some more tortoises, maybe even incubate a clutch or two.